Anyone using Blu-Ray on the PC?

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
FZ1

Anyone using Blu-Ray on the PC?

Post by FZ1 »

If so, what software are you using and what do you think of it? There doesn't seem to be a clear cut choice for this. We have:
- Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra - $99 on sale for $79 (never been a fan of their software)
- Corel WinDVD - $99 on sale for $79
- ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater - $89 on sale for $69
Joe
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Anyone using Blu-Ray on the PC?

Post by InspectahACE »

I use powerdvd..i have 7.3 and 8 ..i use 7.3 since i have a hd-dvd/blu-ray/dvd-rw drive and have both hd-dvd's and blu-ray..i havent used the other software u mentioned but I like powerdvd really..been using it for a good few years now and so far I haven't seen anything to beat (what I consider) its great quality..that and it has never done me wrong
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yes, but keep your line distances short. i have an hdmi going from my computer to a wall plate, then from that wall plate a 35 foot hdmi to the tv in the next room, i have a wallplate there, but if i use it it doesnt work cause the HDCP keys get lost or something. power dvd is fine for me. if your doing long runs, think of each of each coupler as adding 20 feet to the run
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Powerdvd here also.

you have to upgrade the one that comes with most blu-ray players for the computer since they are cheap bastards and only give you stereo sound with the free one :p

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I bought an LG BD drive last night but I had to be at a holiday party last night so I didn't even get to open the box. I think it comes with the OEM PowerDVD software you are referring to. We'll see...
Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Here is a pretty good software thread.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=72239
Joe
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

FZ1 wrote:Here is a pretty good software thread.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=72239
Got a Sony Drive coming next week for my HTPC HiDef Build. I'll be watching your thread to see what you decide Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I was kinda thinking we should get all 3 and do a review! :supz:
Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Installed the Cyberlink 7 software and patched it to 7.3...Plays The Dark Knight fine and I can access BD Live ok. Plays the Mummy: TOTDE fine but I cannot access the BD live features. Says I need a firmware upgrade although there is no new firmware for my drive LG GBC-H20L. :lame:
Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Found a coupon code for the Arcsoft software - "Registration08". Gave me $14.00 off of the already discounted price of $69.99 for a total of $55.99. I'm going to try it out.
Joe
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I would've thought the BDlive shindig was software based....but i never really got into it anyway..I think PowerDVD 8 has the BDLive going a bit better than 7.3 from when i used it a short time...my only complaint with it was that it didn't do the HD-DVD playback anymore..and even with adding the profile to play them it became unstable..so back to 7.3 it was for me..
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Using Arcsoft Total Media the BD Live content worked just fine for the Mummy TOTDE
Joe