New Oppo BluRay player plays MKVs!

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
MediaMunkey
Legit User
Legit User

Re: New Oppo BluRay player plays MKVs!

Post by MediaMunkey »

That sounds like a pretty nice setup Skippman.
But what codec are you talking about that you think I am talking about?
The media server support certainly makes it even more tempting. I wonder if the PS3 Media Server would work with it. I know it has rudimentary Xbox support, so why not something else? Hmmm.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

MediaMunkey wrote: MKV support is one of the things I've always wanted from standalone players, but without ASS support it still isn't quite enough for my (probably ridiculously) high standards.
I forgot ASS is the subtitle scheme and my X-360 will do that. I've not tried it with the Oppo or PS3 though.

I have a media server sitting in my home office that runs TVersity over my network. I also use AT&T's uVerse service which means each TV in my house has an ethernet run to it. TVersity can talk to any of my set top boxes to varying degrees. Here's the breakdown:

Oppo: MP3, Limited Video, Photo's
X360: MP3, All Video Formats, Photo's
PS3: MP3, All Video Formats, Photo's
UVerse: MP3, Photo's

Since my TVersity is set to transcode the video formats it'll let most of my set top boxes play back whatever they want. The Oppo doesn't seem to like this very much and I get the feeling it'd prefer it in the native format. I think it might have something to do with trying to transcode AAC but I can't be sure. I've been considering getting a Patriot box or another 360 for my bedroom to act as a media center extender.
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

Oppo is high quality stuff hence the price.

LG has a much cheaper offering with BD370 if you want MKV playback on your BD player (it also supports DivX) and aren't willing to spend more than $200.