New M/b won't work-help!

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
prost
Legit User
Legit User

New M/b won't work-help!

Post by prost »

I've built a new PC. When I press Del to enter setup, it displays the memory, then says USB controller detected but goes no further. The system hangs after POST. The hard drive is from a working PC with windows. The reset & on/ff buttons work, the CPU is correctly detected. I have an Asus k8v-vm m/b. The graphics are on-board. All fans are ok. Is it because I'm using a ps/2 102key keyboard from an old 486 PC(pre-Windows 95)?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Clear the BIOS and see if that does anything as if it is a used board it might have some weird settings from the previous owner. If you've already done this you might want to try another keyboard as i've never tried running a really old school (pre-Windows 95) ever on anything in the past 8-9 years.

Welcome to the forums and wish I could help more, but nothing comes to mind. Since it is hanging it must be something plugged in... disconnect your hard drive and optical drives and anything not needed (wireless, sound, NIC cards...) and see if it stops hanging.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Yea I would recommend the same- reset BIOS, then if it doesnt work pull everything off the MB and try again.

You might also try to pull all the memory off and try a different stick, or just try 1 stick of memory - is it doesnt work, pull that one off and try a different one.

Just some thoughts - and dittos from Apop's ideas :p

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
prost
Legit User
Legit User

Post by prost »

I've removed the IDE cables & it does go into BIOS & I can use the keyboard! When I put them back I can't. I guess I have defective IDE connectors. I know the cables work as I've tried them on another PC.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

cool good to hear that you have started to figure out the problem. Try changing the cable like you mentioned and if that doesn't work maybe another optical drive.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

also make sure that the back side of the motherboard is not touching the case. I actually had one that the solder points on the back were long for some reason, and it would short out on the case.

Is it JUST the cables you put back on, or do hook the drives up also? Just the cables you might have a wire crossed or touching somewhere, drives see below.

only hook the HD up and try to reboot - if that works, then add 1 more, reboot..etc till you have all you can back in. If one does not work remove it and set it aside until you finish testing all of them.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
prost
Legit User
Legit User

Post by prost »

The cables were attached to the drives.

Knightrid: if the case shorted out the m/b I guess nothing would work right? I've ordered another m/b. I'll let you know what happens!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

not necessarily if you short your mobo to the case in all the times i've done it (2 times lol didn't learn the first time) I just fixed where it was touching the case and it worked great. I put in one too many of the elevated screws to screw the mobo into onto the motherboard rack and didn't notice that it was just touching against the back of the motherboard and not at a screw hole. so theres a good chance at least from my experiances your motherboard is fine still.