Asus M3A AM2+ System "Swamp Thing" (56k Warning)

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Asus M3A AM2+/AM2 Mobo upgrade 56K warning

Post by jpierce55 »

The original bios permitted vchange with the Phenom, but attempts to do so caused crashes. The new bios is limited to 1.25v. The math indicates this processor at 2.7 would equal the x2 at 3.2ghz on this board (Science Mark, 3dmark would exceed). Phenoms are hitting 2.6-2.7 on other boards. This board is missing not only the voltage but also some of the other settings necessary to get there.

I can understand your satisfaction, you planned on running a dual core. For me it is a major disappointment not running the Phenom very well, and already having a reasonable x2 speed. I suspect future bios updates will help the x2, but I have a paranoid feeling the Phenom will never get the full support with this board, even if so it could be months :( .
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Might be a while new Mobo, new quad. I updated bios to the new bios I'll have to check later and see what they cut. I almost didn't go to the newer chipset board for maturity reasons I hate waiting. Decided I needed pcie 2.0 for video and went ahead and got it. Course I had the luxury of a native 3.2 GHZ cpu to hold me through the maturity stage.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

The voltage on mine with the new bios goes to 1.55 so that change must be hard coded and keyed specific to the Phenom. I tend to stick with the tried and tested processors waiting on bugs to be worked out of the new ones. It was a hard choice not going quad for $50 more, figuring games wouldn't use the extra cores so I got the X2.
jpierce55 wrote:The original bios permitted vchange with the Phenom, but attempts to do so caused crashes. The new bios is limited to 1.25v. The math indicates this processor at 2.7 would equal the x2 at 3.2ghz on this board (Science Mark, 3dmark would exceed). Phenoms are hitting 2.6-2.7 on other boards. This board is missing not only the voltage but also some of the other settings necessary to get there.

I can understand your satisfaction, you planned on running a dual core. For me it is a major disappointment not running the Phenom very well, and already having a reasonable x2 speed. I suspect future bios updates will help the x2, but I have a paranoid feeling the Phenom will never get the full support with this board, even if so it could be months :( .
Evax
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Evax »

Hey Guys,
Ive been reading ur reviews and thoughts and thought id register and let u know my benchmakr scores :>

I have the following system :
Phenom 9600
Asus M3A
2 GB DDR2 800 Kingston CL5
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog XT edition

3DMark Score 11190 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score 4587
HDR/SM3.0 Score 4849
CPU Score 3467

CPU is idling at 23 , load at 32-38
MB is idling at 36 , Load at 40-48

If there are ne other tests u wud like me to do , id be willing as long as u help me through it , i do not know all that much about OC'ing but wud like to learn :>

Cheers
Evax
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Welcome aboard Evax! Pretty decent benchmark score for stock. I just bumped my Dual up to 3.44, and did a minor OC on the video card and racked a 11500 (little higher than that but it's saved on the desk top, on the laptop now). Letting it run a day or two then trying for 3.52 (waiting on a NB cooler I'm back ordered on).

If you want to try an OC, down load AMD OverDrive and install it to monitor CPU temps, on my M3A so far it's the most accurate. I'll try and get on mine tomorrow so I can give you accurate bios instructions. One of the guys following this thread has OC his Phenom a little on this board. 3Dmark2005 is a good bench, it'll work to show you any improvement you get.

Then you might want Ntune and nVidea Monitor from the nvidea web site, they let you monitor and OC your graphic card. I run mine at 650/926 using ntune, yours is 640 at stock settings. If you want to give it a try get ntune, and nvidea monitor, load the monitor to keep an eye on the temps, then load ntune and bump the core clock to 650 and the memory clock up by ten. Run the stability test for the video card that's built into Ntune. If it's stable rerun 3DMark2005 then repost your score here. That should be a safe fun first OC to get your feet wet.
Evax
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Evax »

heya, thanks for the welcome and the tips.

I have AMD Overdrive installed as well as rivatuner and Asus Probe 2. Will rivatuner be ok , or wud u recommend ntune rather?

Also with AMD Overdrive im not quite sure how u clock it ?

Thanks
Evax
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I just use AMD OverDrive to monitor cpu usage and CPU temps, it should over clock with the Phenom on it, it won;t on my board with an X2 (bummer) so I can't advise you on overdrive except that on my M3A it gives the most accurate cpu temps (reads them directly from the boards BIOS).

Some people use RivaTuner I never have, I figured since it's an Nvidia card their utilities would be better. Their not a real large download and make OCing the card a snap. Just move 2 sliders and click apply and you have an OC (need to test stability).

It's better to OC one at a time, start with video it's easy then worry about the CPU.
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

Interesting AOD did not read my x2 temps, but did read the Phenom. I would not suggest using the AOD to overclock the Phenom, it caused me more issues with the Phenom than the x2.

Since I also have a 9600 I can suggest this:

HT1200
FSB 214
Don't use the new bios unless you want to use a bios editor to disable the TLB fix.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

That's just weird, same mobo, same class cpu (X2) and it reads my temps but not yours. I wouldn't use OverDrive to OC eighther, in my experience the AI Oc utilities tend to over volt causing excess heat, or just plain unstable. I bumped the x2 6400 to 215 FSB at 16 Mult getting a stable 3.44. Letting it run a day or two before I bump it any more. Gave me 115xx 3dmark. Trying for any thing over 12000 safe.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Methious, was just CURIOUSLY wondering. Why did you get an AMD comp when Intel is owning AMD right now??

Also, got any idea on how I should push my X2 3800+ further on my M2N-E?? Since we both have/had the same mobo, I thought we can give each other some help on the M2N-E. Everytime I try to push it beyond 2.4, I get BSOD no matter what RAM speed it's set at and what voltages I got.

BTW, were you ever able to update your BIOS using EZ Flash?? My mobo can't seem to find the BIOS fine in EZ Flash...=.=

As for your M3A, I havn't been keeping up with your posts in this thread, but so far it seems to be an excellent mobo. Sounds like it's way better than the M2N-E that we both own.

Sorry for being so off topic from the M3A... :oops:
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

A 501 beta bios is out but not available for download yet :( somebody has it on another forum, it is getting better for the Phenom from what is stated, but still not there yet. Voltage can be changed, but the NB multiplier is still missing. From what others have said the NB multiplier is critical for overclocking the Phenom. The other comments included the new bios is easier to overclock, in all sounds a little better.

I am doubting they can get much more tweaked out on the X2 side of the deal (3.2ghz from a 5000be is already good), memory speed is the only drawback with it right now. If they get the memory speed up on the X2's it will be an incredible dual core board.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Hey Geo

Well it was a hard choice made knowingly, the Intel CPU I was looking at was E6850 core 2 duo at 3.0 running $277, throw in the mobo I was looking at, Asus P5K3 at $240, then I'd need a new cpu cooler another $70 for the ThermalRight Ultra 120 and Vantac Stealth 120mm fan so I could over clock it when I got it; I'd be out $587 plus $25 shipping so $612. Current rig, M3A $97 free shipping, X2 6400 $179 free shipping. Kept the same cpu cooler for a while so I'm out $276 take $276 and divide by $612 and you get .45 or 45%. So at 45% of the cost of the Intel Rig I run at 3.2 dual core as opposed to 3.0 dual core stock. Now it's currently accepted that Intel is running 13% faster so the 3.0 stock would be equivalent 3.39GHZ adjusted. So I get a stock gain of 190 mhz for $345 more. Then they say but you can over clock the cheaper 2.66 I didn't want a 2.66 I wanted 3.0 or above native speed. But you could over clock the 3.0, would that be worth the $345 with the new 45nm Intel on the horizon, probably not. Right now I'm running at 3.52 comfortably, flipping 12000+ on 3DMark2006, Same graphic card on a much more expensive Intel setup, running water flips 14000. So I'm running 14% below that, less expensive, no water cooling on the video card or cpu. Figure water cooling $200, makes the $617 up to $817 so now I add the cpu cooler i got, makes me up to $346. Run the percentages again, and I'm running at 42% of the Intel water cooled rig. (not to knock water cooling at all, my first water cooling parts ship tomorrow) Save 58% or $471 and run 14% slower not a bad trade off. All that said it was partially loyalty, last 10 years I've had AMD, figured I'd try the last and fastest X2 and maybe Phenom will catch a break. Probably sell the guts off the AMD after I go intel (planning on it this year). Sadly enough I know I'll break even money wise on the AMD I have now, the Intel I'm going to build not so much.

On the M2N-E I could get my 3800 to 2.4 - 2.5, 2.4 was fsb 220 stock voltage, 2.5 was fsb 230 vcore up one notch, HT lowered to 4x, memory was 667 ddr2 transcend jet ram. To get to 230 FSB I cable tied an old cpu cooler I had to the NB heat pipe, had some Artic silver between the HS and the NB cool pipe. With out the old cpu cooler i hit 223 FSB and BSOD every time. Never tried higher than 230 FSB. Now it's running a 4200 2.2 @ 2.42 - 220 fsb. If you look on your board at the fan connector by the NB it says NB fan connector. Given that it's got a cool pipe why would they put a NB fan connector on the board if they didn't know it would need extra cooling to achieve higher enthusiast FSB speeds? The connector was what clued me in (8 months after I got it). Might get better speeds with a NB cooler, the M3A is the same way hit above 220 with out extra cooling and BSOD and it's a passive heat sink. I have a NB cooler on back order, the ThermalRight 80mm, it's another monster sized cooler. Runs like $40 w/shipping. IMHO to get much higher than 220 it's going to require better NB cooling, and I could be wrong, it's been known to happen. It could be voltage regulation, the replacement board I got from Asus has the same voltage fluctuation's the first one did. I'm betting that it's not that cause the M3A does the same thing and it's voltage regulation is great. In the end OC with AMD is still a crap shoot for me. That was a contributing factor when I got the 6400, I figured if it wouldn't OC very much at least it'd run fast enough.

Some one once said (I saw it on Mad Max) speed is nothing more than a function of cost, how fast do you want to go? It's kinda true. So now I'm fledgling starting into water cooling. As usual one part at a time, pump first, then probably a water block next, snatch a radiator, dig a fan out of the collection, scrounge a water tank for it. Run to the hardware store for some tubing and clamps, call 7 people, go online read every thing Bio-Hazard and Stev ever wrote, PM them until they want to kill me. Then whack it all together out side the case, pressure test it, the whole while getting stink eye from my better half, spend the whole next day figuring out how to drain it and get it inside the case with out drowning the PC. Tease all the bubbles out of the system, fire it up and watch it for hours wondering if it's going to go postal on my Mobo/video card. Why you ask, several reasons only one of which is better cooling/performance. I gave up regular drinking, I don't get to chase wild women any more, I'm old enough to know better but gonna do it any way, and lastly maybe just maybe it'll quench this techno lust. I doubt it, in the end it'll just keep me off the street and put a smile on my face for a while. Then I'll think of some thing else I want to try. Best advice I can give, try it all, or run while you can; obviously it's to late for me. :rolleyes:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I got the M2N-E to update bios using the ez-flash bios utility under tools in bios. It usually took a minute for it to kick over to the section where you select where to flash from. I always use a floppy drive. Never tried a flash drive update. Floppy was 7 bucks and the disks were 3. When I get my next flash drive it'll be number 4, I'm still using the same floppy drive while 3 flash drives died. My luck the flash drive would die while updating. ](*,)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Well I inadvertently mislead readers in the post before last. I had intended to collect water cooling parts a piece at a time. All the water cooling parts will be here end of the week, first of next week.

Been tossing around names for this rig, since I'm mass exodusing to water I came up with "Swamp Thing"

Water cooling will be loosely based on the Dell XPS 710 H2C system with the addition of a NB water block.

Pump: Swiftech MCP350 magnetic impeller pump http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/ ... mcp355.gif
Radiator: 120MM Hex radiator 2 inlet and 1 outlet for dual loop cooling
Fan: Vantec Stealth 12cm Double Ball Bearing Silence Fan, 28dbA
Fan Controller: Recycled ThermalTake fan controller from previous build
CPU water block: Swiftech Apogee GT Extreme Performance (universal for future builds) http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5400/ ... g30c85s140
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Small Form Factor / High-Flow Reservoir http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2226/ ... g30c97s168
North Bridge Zalman ZM-NWB1 Northbridge Liquid Cooling Block http://www.frozencpu.com/images/product ... lc-319.jpg
Misc Parts "Y" connector to run from the 1 outlet on the Radiator to the cpu and NB waterblock inlets
5 reusable clamps 3/8 interior diameter 1/2 outer diameter
Coolant, anti algae solution, anti fungal solution, distilled water, tubing

Bear in mind this is my first water build so any mistakes, missing hardware, wrong assumptions, mishaps, disasters, or coolants squirting across the room are solely for your enjoyment. When I get all the parts assembled I'll pic them, post them then do the nuts and bolts stuff to get it installed internally or externally. After all is said and done before and after pics of the rig. New over clocking attempts benches etc.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:Now it's currently accepted that Intel is running 13% faster so the 3.0 stock would be equivalent 3.39GHZ adjusted.
Are you trying to say a 3GHz E6850 is comparable to an AM2 chip @ 3.39Ghz?

If so, I think you have your calculations wrong! The E6850 is way faster!
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

No Ken it's not a direct comparison to AMD vs Intel head to head in every area. More price/bang for buck. I can PM you the location of the 3DMark2006 scores on the rig I was making comparison to. The cpu I was looking at was a 3.0 Intel. The system I was making the comparison to is an E6750 I should have made that clear but it was really late. The E6750 is currently running at 3.603 GHZ OC under water on CPU, with the GPU water cooled also. Flipping 14026 3DMark 2006. A gamers benchmark using a real life gaming engine. I'm pushing 12000 on X2 6400 under air, very mild OC video and CPU. I have a high flow swiftech water cooler DIY system on the way but initially doing CPU/NB I can probably push harder under water. Given that gaming is the main use of the machine take the 12000 divide by 14026 and you get 85.5555 which means in that area I'm running 14.5% slower than the Intel rig given it's current configuration. At 42-47% of the cost of the Intel setup I was looking at. That's not bad bang for buck given my uses of the rig.

Having said that I am planning on going to Intel this year as previously stated. E8400 on an Intel based chip set motherboard under water. The water cooling kit is designed to move from AMD to Intel with no loss of equipment. Sorry if I mislead anyone or stepped on any Intel toes.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I just got the bios beta 0501 for the Asus M3A from a link posted on this page http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... 582&page=6

It's on post number 132 and he was given permission from ASUS to post it. So it's there if you want to try it.
crazydiamond
Legit User
Legit User

Post by crazydiamond »

so far so good. playin around with all the bios' and i find the most stability/performance and best temps in 0301 so thats the one ive been using. been stable with the 5000 be @ 3.36ghz past few days. here is the settings ive been using

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=299102

ive been using these @ 1.4vcore for a few days now. runs all tests and benchmarks with no hiccups. scored right at 11400 in 3dmark06 w/ a 8800gt @ 650/950 so thats pretty good.

overall im happy with it. the x2 bios options are lacking. id like to seee a lot more optoins for the ram settings and be able to go higher than 2.25vdimm. am i blind or is there like no options for fan control in the bios? also methious, i member you saying somethin about bumpin nb Volts but i dont see that option either. where did you find that? definately a solid board despite those things IMO.
crazydiamond
Legit User
Legit User

Post by crazydiamond »

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=299127

this got 11600 on 3dM06. its pretty stable but cant go hours on load....yet :rolleyes:

these are gettin 26s on superpi 1m

just thought id give an update since ive had a little time to play with it
matt10
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by matt10 »

A simple question for you guys can I run 2 graphics cards on an M3A. I want two monitors and I can get a Nvidia 7600GS with dual dvi ports from a friend but I suspect 1 card per display would be faster if it would work.

Thanks