Asus M3A AM2+ System "Swamp Thing" (56k Warning)

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Asus M3A AM2+ System "Swamp Thing" (56k Warning)

Post by Methious »

I hear ya, my case door is mesh, and the front fan is mesh. Had to save a little cash some where this months parts budget pretty much shot with the window order. Nice kit though, 8 1/2 X 11 inch window, grommet, matching round ide and floppy cable, cold cathode ray kit, matching 80mm fan, and case cutting tool all for $8.99 :shock: Used an expansion slot fan to cool the 8800 gt in the interim, when budget allows probably going to water cool it. After that I'm betting I can push 14000 on 3dmarks. Same XFX G92 video cards are cranking great core speeds under water. With an additional 150 mhz core it should rock out. :supz:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Here's a shot of the Swamp Cooler cleaned up and painted. I tested it and removing 3 screws allows me to remove the whole cooling kit without the need for draining in 2 1/2 minutes. Throw on 4 quick connects and maybe a drain and fill port and I'll have an easy quickly maintainable water cooling system.

Interior Cleaned Up Ready For The Casing
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I got it the water setup on the desk, working bubbles out of the system. I'm not sure I'll probably run it this way for a while but I think I'm looking at going to the larger Antec Soho file server case. I won't know until after in case leak testing if it's going to be to close to the GPU for comfort. Then there's the North Bridge cooler, the original heat sink has a shim around the bottom so I'm looking for a suitable material to use to keep the NB water block from rocking.
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

My cooler came with a round rubber gasket, I wonder if you can buy them someplace. Looks like it has a good sized reservoir.
crazydiamond
Legit User
Legit User

Post by crazydiamond »

heres some pics of the m3a in all its glory :supz:

complete system:
case: NZXT. Alpha
mobo: Asus M3A
processor: amd 5000+ black edition
cpu cooler: Rosewill rcx-z3
ram 4x1gb a-data extreme pc6400
vid card: xfx 8800gt alpha dog
hard drive: wd 500gb 16mb sata
dvd: lite-on regular sata dvd writer
psu: XClio Greatpower 500w semi-modular

zip ties used: 0
mods to case/hardware: 0
=D>

the rosewill rcx-z3 blowin like crazy

side window on - i think the m3a has a pretty good layout for cable management 8) besides front audio, 4-pin power, cpu fan #-o

Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Nice looking rig! I'm stalled on mine pending delivery of a window kit and a trip out for velcro, 2 sided foam tape, and balsa wood. It's cooling good, but building an induction cowling for the radiator, windowing the cooler, installing a push fan behind the radiator, and finishing NB water block install. I pulled the NB passive heat sink, cleaned it off, applied AS5 and ended up putting the passive back on for now. The passive isn't cool to the touch any more. It's pumping out heat. The AS5 made a big difference in the heat sinks conductivity.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Rounded up the rest of the supplies for the cooler and case today. Induction hood for the 120mm pull fan is fabricated, brackets for the 120mm push fan fabricated and attached. Induction hood paint is drying as I type. New entries, and pictures starting tomorrow. Had to raid 3 different stores for supplies and when I got them rounded up the cordless drill decided to die after 6 years. The replacement drill is charging now, unfortunately lithium Ion batteries have a memory and you have to charge them completely full the first time around or you won't get a full charge capacity out of them or I'd pop some holes for the push fan now and upload some progress pictures.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Here's three progress shots the 120mm push fan is in solid, the cowling is in loose, and a shot of the cpu watered.

Cpu Watered

Swamp Cooler

Swamp Cooler

I'll get those in tight tonight and start on the windowing of the case this weekend.
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

Good Stuff man, Im glad to see its workin out for ya..
Hopefully you stay cool and dry with it..
Kinda curious about where exactly those wires are leading from those 2 molex connectors.. It looks like a set of Yellow/Black are running out of the case, And there is a set of Black/Red running to the fan on the bottom..
Did you do some Hot-Wiring of a fan from a molex? OR am i just seeing things?
O..
Also, I'd let to see how you mount that 40mm Scythe on your NB, unless you dont plan on doing it with this build..

Good luck however man, Looking very Clean thus far.
Black Sata Cables are Pro also. :drinkers:
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

Looks nice and clean, not to crowded in your case. It should cool good from the looks of it.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I went hard core on the pumps, had to solder molex on as they came bare wire, the yellow and black lead to the red and black of the pump, they run out the back of the computer to let me avoid a separate power supply for the pump. Avoiding the friend turning it on and frying the cpu cause they didn't know to turn on the pump. The Green one is to a really loud fan that will be replaced later, the cork screw red and black is a molex to 3 pin fan adapter. This all happened kinda fast, so I took a mental inventory of fans and decided to run with what I had until I saw if I liked it or not. I don't know If I'm going to make it first time around but the intent was to keep all electrical connections out of the cooler.

This build I'm trying to use a Zalman water block on the NB, to attach the 40mm to the passive you just use a pair of needle nose pliers to carefully release the wire clip on this heat sink, clean the heat tape off with what ever you use (I use lighter fluid/naphtha same thing, then wipe it with an alcohol pad and dry it, commercially speaking Goo Gone from walmart, then alcohol works too), apply Artic ceramic on the NB itself (just the little chip). While you have the NB passive heat sink out, fire up the dremel with a Small drill bit, drill a small hole on the corner fin on each corner, (run down to dollar general, they have 100 small cable ties for a buck) then cable tie each corner of the fan to the heat sink. If if vibrates annoyingly, clip the ties off and put a small felt washer under each corner. (that's why you got a hundred ties :shock: ) It's simple and easy and lets you up the FSB speed insanely 8)

I found a couple of black sata in my collection, after I rerun the wires inside the case I'll probably use them. I also got neutral clear high EMF wire braided floppy and IDE cables so I can ditch the blue rounded ones.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I got quite a bit done today, replaced the IDE and Floppy cables with clear EMF resistant cables, Replaced the cold cathode ray tube with new, mounted the blow hole fan, cut the gasket for the NB water block, and windowed the external cooler case. Getting close to finishing the first iteration of this water mod. I'm sure there will be modifications.

Here's the HP Pavilion Mini Tower Windowed and Painted
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Here's a direct link to the M3A bios revision 0601 Asus M3A Bios 0601

Word is that it's about the same as 0501 but more stable, snarf on it if your in need of a bios update. :supz:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Here's some shots of what it's going to look like for a while until I decide if I'm migrating cases.

Swamp Thing

Water Block Hardware Mounted

Swamp Thing With Out The Lighting

External Cooler Windowed Case Loose On (I still have to adjust some cowling's)

This Is A Full Sized Shot I'll Remove Later People Wanted To See The NB Water Block Mod I Had To Do To Get It On
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

It looks great!
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Thanks, I'll get the black sata cables, later and take a night shot.
justapost
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by justapost »

Ahh, I see so you drilled holes in those clip adapters. Good to see the zalman nb cooler works, guess i'll order one for my reserator 1p cooling system. :finga:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Clips had 2 holes on each end out of the box, had to cut the last one on the end of the clip off to keep it off the top of the capacitor.

Welcome to the forums! Good to see another AMD user here in Intel Territory!
justapost
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by justapost »

Hmm, hooks with windings and nuts might also work. Would leave the board untouched.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I looked for that feature, Swiftech's chip set solution might have that, but I thought the feet on it would interfere with the install, looked at it at a local shop. Given capacitor placement this was the only one they had I was sure would go on. I'd like to have a set of screw hook connectors if you see any loose for sale.