Asus M3A AM2+ System "Swamp Thing" (56k Warning)

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Asus M3A AM2+ System "Swamp Thing" (56k Warning)

Post by Methious »

Yea I got a 2 X 2 gig dual channel kit of Mushkin Enhanced ddr2 800, I ran all kinda tests on it no errors, over clocks really well, $40 after MIR which I actually got back for a change. Runs at 1.8v stock, I run it at 1.9 and it runs good over clocked that way. Not the best timings 5-5-5-12 stock, runs good at 4-4-4-12. For the bucks you pay for say Corsair Dominator the performance increase VS the price just isn't worth it to me. I have a set of Transcend JetRam laying around for testing and upgrades it's ddr2 667 1.8v it clocks all the way to 900 and runs stable as a rock, ran $30 for 4 gigs on sale.

I'd buy it again, I like Muskin, Corsair (better models), and Ocz, Crucial makes a couple of good models. If your looking ram just be sure to hit a professional review site and not those on site NewEgg customer reviews, and not the guy told me it was good in a forum you'll be alright.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Here's some rough shots of the second go around, I have wiring issues to handle (heck I always have wires to hide), I'm a little dragged out So I'm going to post then come back and clean it up after while (Been after it 11 hours already today).

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You're telling me you have JUST a CPU and a NB hooked up to a 360mm rad? Where is the love for the graphics cooling?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

Whats a "graphics card"???

Are you talking about the most expensive piece of hardware in his case???
*snicker*

H20'd Graphics Cards are For Nubs, Everyone know Silent Editions are the best.. *whistles*

And on another note..
Nice pics there Meth,
Your outta control with the Stickers on the outside..
Thats a pretty unique touch, i kinda like it.

Most people are like Eww, Stickers.. No bueno.
:supz:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

It's a new water build Dan, I did some trading around with one of our members and got some pumps and stuff, then started with an aluminum radiator thrown in with the deal. Labored out for the water blocks with a local computer shop. Love for the graphics card will come a little later, but I'm going to get insane with it and run it on it's own pump and radiator. The next radiator is another triple 120 swiftech with identical fans, but this one is a used radiator from another member here on LR that upgraded to a high end radiator. Probably getting a universal kit for the 8800, so far all the water stuff is universal so if I jump on the Intel Bandwagon I'll be ready. (well the NB isn't universal any more had to mod it to get it in) Bio and Stev are helping me with the water end of things, their help is much appreciated.

In response to Resnik, it's the fastest computer in it's hardware class in the world, ever had the fastest in the world in your hardware class? It's not what your driving, it's how you drive it, and not letting it drive you.
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

Hey Methious, I posted this on xtremesystems as well:

Sorry to derail the M3A side of this:

I just ran science mark on the Gigabyte 790fx with the Phenom stock and got the same score I got with the M3A turned up to its max, I consider that a really good start. It has voltage up to 1.38v for the cpu. The bios looks more familiar. It has its own oc software, good thing AOD crashes on it. Interesting is Windows does not realize the difference, I did not have to re-activate. It was a very easy install. The layout fits my case much better, still a little clearance issue with the nb and the Infinity hs. I also see that the SATA cable attachments are in a bad place. A major plus is all of the fan sockets.

I will be back tomorrow to let you know if I can oc this board or not.

I got it on sale for $180, now I have to sell the 5000be, both of my mobo's, and a sempron/mobo/mem combo. This board fits my case much better.
Resnik
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Resnik »

Methious wrote: In response to Resnik, it's the fastest computer in it's hardware class in the world, ever had the fastest in the world in your hardware class? It's not what your driving, it's how you drive it, and not letting it drive you.
Ah, Come on now Meth, you know i was messing with ya..
I've been keepin tabs on this build, i knew exactly why you didn't have your GPU on water.

And, Thats some pretty hefty bragging rights, amirite?
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I heard some good things about the Gigabyte 790x, but your still mixing Phenoms and X2s. On the Phenom it might be a little lacking, on the X2 the M3A is singing like a bird. The reason I didn't go Phenom is AMD has a 45nm dual and Quad in the pipes due out 2nd quarter 2008. The new line is lower power consumption, higher frequency, better performance and designed to run on the AM2+ platform with a jump from 2meg L2 cache to 6meg L2 cache. If it's in line with the Intel core 2 duo I might be sticking with AMD. Their talking return to the enthusiast crowd material, supposed to run cooler and OC much like the Intels. Amd saying 2nd quarter usually means 3rd quarter with them. Then there's me setting on the platform to run it with 2 triple 120mm radiators, 6 120mm yate loon 43cfm fans, two swiftech mcp350 pumps, and a GPU watered with the Swiftech stealth 8800 water block grinning like a fool running it volt modded with it's own 120mm radiator and pump. Now that's insane. It's either going to be epic or a total disaster hehe. If they flop then I'll be in an Intel rig either way it's gonna be fun.

I hear ya Resnik, no biggie, all these tax time repairs and upgrades for people got me raggin is all. Yea it's good bragging rights for the customers. Every time I get some thing a bunch of them want it. Today I had a guy trying to talk me into selling my other radiator and pump, haven't even had them out of the box yet. Told him to cough some cash out of that phat wallet and I could have him one here tomorrow but he wasn't getting mine, my luck my pump would go south and being to cheap to over night one be setting with out for a week. I do know one thing, they don't ship my GPU cooler this week (back order) I'm gonna cancel and reorder some where else. I have the blind boot disk set up to the original bios, blind for the updated bios, all the tools and guide to boost the voltage on the core from 1.1 to 1.2 and they back order my cooler. I almost hate to get the 8800 stealth, might get more mileage out of a swiftech universal, some ram heat sinks and some mosfet coolers for the gpu.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Three days later and I'm still amazed by water cooling, after a long hiatus from gaming for modifications I sat down and ran Company of Hero's for a couple of hours, dropping out to check temperature logs occasionally. Keep in mind this is with the X2 6400, the hottest processor I've ever seen from AMD, during and after playing logs indicated it leveled off and stayed at 35C. 35C was the Idle temp with the ThermalRight Ultra 120. I believe after I get to the hardware store and mount a little farther from the side I can get better temps (I broke down and used some short bolts I had, their like 1/2 maybe 3/4")
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

"I heard some good things about the Gigabyte 790x, but your still mixing Phenoms and X2s" actually I was comparing benchmarks on the x2's. In anycase the Phenom is a no go for me, I decided I blew to much money after buying this board and will return to the x2. The Phenom does crank out more but it also burns way to much power. I put it on ebay, hopefully it and the M3A sell.

I don't real feel bad about getting the Gigabyte board since it is upgradable, but overall wish I would have stuck with the KA3 and the be in the first place. Figure I spent about $500 for barely any movement. I hope to get 1/2 of that back. For $250 I still will near Intel prices. Hopefully you are right and the 45nm AMD x2's come out this year and I can get one of those rocking. No more quad for me it is to hard to tune, if they simplify it maybe in a couple of years.

I really like how your watercooling is turning out, much better than what my liquid cooling was. You are against the g-card getting liquid completely? Or just for now?

Edit: Heh, what do you know I got $175 for the Phenom, I only took a $25 hit.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Glad you got that much for the Phenom! I sell my stuff locally when I tire of it, most of the time I get full value for it because street prices are higher than internet prices. I figured the Phenoms were a wait and see proposition especially with 45nm technology 6 months away. I almost went for it, then a buddy clued me into the new 45nm, the water cooling ought to rock those. I think with the on die memory controller 45nm design, and L2 cache they might be worth a go. Depending on reviews of course.

Naw I'm not against watering the GPU, I have a second pump and radiator and was waiting on a swiftech stealth 8800gpu cooler, they made me wait a little to long and I canceled the order and now I'm looking at a swiftech universal, ram heat sink set, and some mosfet coolers. The Stealth looks better, but I think I'll get more mileage out of a universal. I'd like to see the new GPU chip sets coming out with the same bolt on patterns that'd help with the decision. Watering and volt modding will only gain me 50 FPS on LightsMark, so unless it's portable through the next couple of platforms it's not very economical. Been looking hard at the new dual GPU Ati cards, at 400 their pretty rockin. Then I remember how much trouble I had with ATI over the years, flawed drivers, lack of support and wonder if it's worth the headaches.
jpierce55
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jpierce55 »

Well the 3870 runs great, better than benchmarks state. Real game performance is not far behind the 8800gt. I like mine, and pencil modded it to run 918mhz on the core. I have an aftermarket cooler on it.

I just remember that my old 1900xtx liked the water cooling more than the cpu did, so you might be surprised what it does on the g-card.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I'll be going to a water block pretty soon, a friend has a 8800gt same standard reference card under water and volt modded via bios. He flips 450FPS maxed out on LightsMark 2006, it'd be interesting if you DL it and see how many FPS you run on it. Clocked like that it probably is similar, I don't know if I'd want mine clocked and running like that 24/7. A good stable mild to medium OC usually goes a long way toward longevity which is an issue for me. Now the Ati X2 cards are looking nice though, out performing the top dog 8800 Ultra XXX, clocked up those should scream.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:I'll be going to a water block pretty soon, a friend has a 8800gt same standard reference card under water and volt modded via bios. He flips 450FPS maxed out on LightsMark 2006, it'd be interesting if you DL it and see how many FPS you run on it. Clocked like that it probably is similar, I don't know if I'd want mine clocked and running like that 24/7. A good stable mild to medium OC usually goes a long way toward longevity which is an issue for me. Now the Ati X2 cards are looking nice though, out performing the top dog 8800 Ultra XXX, clocked up those should scream.
Sorry to hijack your thread, but are you saying you can mod the Nvidia bios to allow more voltage? I didn't think this worked......I know the option is there but :-k
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Edit: Use Internet Explorer for the external links PcFrags is acting up with FireFox

No problem KenC your experience and input is always welcome, I haven't done the volt mod yet because I'm recovering financially from the last round of upgrades and waffling on what GPU water block to get, 8800 Stealth, or universal Swiftech and ram heat sinks.

Yup Bio-Hazard did it and pointed me to it, I'm pushing 400fps on XFX and I believe his BFG 8800 is pushing 458 and I ask him how he did it on another forum, here's the snippet. Located here: http://www.pcfrags.com/modules.php?name ... =2542#2542

(My Portion)
Hey Bio did you have to up the voltage on the 8800 to get to 800/1025? When I get past 699/980 (using ntune) i start getting errors.

XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog 625/900 @ stock

Here's the screen from LightsMark 2007 @ 699/980 Haven't run it that high in 3dmarks yet (still laying on it's side finishing the water cooling)

(Bio-Hazards Response)
I used Nibitor to open the video cards Bios and mod the voltage up to the listed max. Some folks have gotten good results doing this while others have not, when modding the video cards bios you'll have to reflash the card and then reinstall the video drivers.

As you know, with all firmware modding anf update flashing, it can be dangerous and kill yur card if for some reason the flash goes bad, so do it at your own risk.

Cooling is also extremely important, these cards do run fairly warm even at stock unmodded voltages.

And here's his lightsmark result volt modded:http://www.pcfrags.com/modules.php?name ... 85&start=0
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I don't frequent other forums often, so I'll ask here

Can anyone confirm if this will work with the 8800GTS 640MB version?
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

What model is it Ken? 8800 gts 640 I know but manufacturer? Might make a difference.

Looks like a solder or pencil mod. http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethow ... howtoID=72
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:What model is it Ken? 8800 gts 640 I know but manufacturer? Might make a difference.

Looks like a solder or pencil mod. http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethow ... howtoID=72
Manufacturer doesn't make a difference, they are all reference models.
I'm not into hard mods but thanks.

I think I may try a bios mod later on this week.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

If you give it a try let me know how it goes, couple of locals have the GTS 640. I don't do hard mods except for better cooling, some times unlocking multipliers on processors if it's not one of those 30 step processes.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:If you give it a try let me know how it goes, couple of locals have the GTS 640. I don't do hard mods except for better cooling, some times unlocking multipliers on processors if it's not one of those 30 step processes.

I might try it this evening, if I can stay awake that is! (got to bed a 5:15am this morning :cry: )