CPU Compatibility

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

CPU Compatibility

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

OK, I'm getting nowhere with Gigabyte on this so I'll ask the real experts and save myself a couple of weeks. :)

I have an older board--GA-M55plus-S3G with the latest BIOS and, cheapskate that I am, was looking for a faster processor rather than do the whole proc./board upgrade since I don't foresee being un-poor anytime soon :|
I found this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103234

While I know the L2 cache sucks, it's still a pretty good price.

It's a 2.9 GHz Brisbane, 65 nm, 65W. I've looked up and down Gigabyte's CPU support list and concluded the following since this specific CPU isn't listed:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Mother ... uctID=2413
1) This mobo supports most Brisbane cores
2) Mobo supports 65nm
3) Mobo supports frequencies up to roughly 3 GHz
4) It's an Socket AM2 CPU
Therefore, this processor should be compatible, right? Or am I not thinking straight? :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: CPU Compatibility

Post by duplo83 »

It looks fine to me. There is at least one CPU on Gigabyte's list that is 3.0Ghz, so I don't think you should have any problems.
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

That's what I thought, too. I don't feel like I'm really pushing the envelope with this CPU. This board has been absolutely flawless over the last 2.5 years so I hate to just throw it on the shelf although I plan to turn this into a folding rig eventually.

Thanks,
Jack
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Well, that's what I get for thinking.....
Gigabyte finally responded and said "Nope"
Another $-saving plan shot all to hell....
Jack
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

In nosing around, I stumbled across a 5200+ Brisbane for <$80 which I'm considering. I'm wondering (at last) though how the Brisbane is for OCing. I found one guy who successfully got his to run just a hair under 3.3 with stock cooler. At this point, (although I'm sure OCing is like subwoofers and amplifiers=you can never have too much :mrgreen:) I'd be pretty happy around 3 GHz for what I do and if I ever get my new graphics card I'll pretty much be set for any games I'd play. Plus I'd finally be a member of the Dual Core club.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Jack
~Bob Dylan
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I think Gigabyte are just telling you no as it isn't on the CPU supported list. The BIOS won't recognise it, but it might still work.

The only trouble is that it's not as clear cut because the faster CPUs on that board are the windsor core. It could be that it doesn't support the multiplier that the CPU uses.

As for the 5200+, you may as well go for it :P
I'm sure with enough coaxing you'll be able to get 3Ghz out of it.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

unfaithfulsfan wrote:In nosing around, I stumbled across a 5200+ Brisbane for <$80 which I'm considering. I'm wondering (at last) though how the Brisbane is for OCing. I found one guy who successfully got his to run just a hair under 3.3 with stock cooler. At this point, (although I'm sure OCing is like subwoofers and amplifiers=you can never have too much :mrgreen:) I'd be pretty happy around 3 GHz for what I do and if I ever get my new graphics card I'll pretty much be set for any games I'd play. Plus I'd finally be a member of the Dual Core club.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Jack

Other than a stock cooler on the 5200+, you could manage to hit 3.3x something with a ThermalTake Big Typhoon or other great air cooler.

Running my P4c Northwood at 3.0Ghz on this MSI board isn't a problem, but just like DMB2000uk mentioned, the BIOS ma not support the multiplier. Guess what, that's exactly right on my MSI board. The highest CPU I could go for is what's in there now. The 3.2 or 3.4 Northwood would only run at 3.0Ghz. BUT, while always thinking, if I did have the 3.4 in there, OCing would bring it up to par possibly. It's only a hunch at best.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I decided on a different route after doing some more research. I waffled between a Windsor (4600+) and a Brisbane (4800+) at 2.4 and 2.5 respectively each for <$60. Both are supported by my board. Everything I read indicated that the Windsor core overclocks way better than the Brisbane and I saw quite a few testimonials to 3+ with the Windsor, up to 3.0 with stock cooler. So I took that one for $58 and free shipping.

In the meantime, I've managed to coax 2.38 (271*9) out of my 1.8 Orleans with temps staying around 40C and Prime95 running almost constantly + F@H client. Seems quite a bit faster but it could be wishful thinking. However, with Word and OOO Writer duking it out for supremacy, it only takes Word ~30 seconds to launch now rather that 60-90 at stock settings.

Only thing when I reboot it goes back automatically to 2.0? I finagled with the voltage settings in BIOS but EasyTune resets them to whatever it wants or that's how it seems.

Jack
~Bob Dylan