nVidia nVFirewall: Thoughts/Opinions??

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

nVidia nVFirewall: Thoughts/Opinions??

Post by gvblake22 »

Hey, what do you guys know/think about the nVFirewall hardware firewall available on the nForece4 Ultra and SLI chipsets??? Is it worth bothering with over a traditional software firewall?
OsamaBinAthlon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by OsamaBinAthlon »

I've got a nF3 mobo (DFI LANparty), which has the same firewall, I assume - I installed it once, found it to be too much stuffing about to activate - I deleted it, and haven't bothered with it since.
I'm just using the one that comes with SP2, which seems to work just fine - haven't had any viruses.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I've heard some people have some issues with it, and usually don't recommend firewalls except for Zone Alarm. Even the one included with SP2 is second rate as it isn't a priority within their own company.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Tried it.....it blows, and it doesn't like my satellite ISP. ..........nuf said.......... :shock:
OsamaBinAthlon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by OsamaBinAthlon »

Come to think of it, I don't know of anyone using it.
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TheGeekMistress »

OsamaBinAthlon wrote:Come to think of it, I don't know of anyone using it.
yah, everyone has had too many hassels with it to keep tryig to use it.

i personally use a NAT/Firewall for incoming; and McAfee Internet Suite for out going malware and virus sending emials and unknown fiels wanting internat access. so for i've encountered some trojans and some malware from going to the wrong site or downloading an infected fiel, but McAfee picked it up in an instant. and you've just about gotta be a safe cracker to get thru a hardware NAT then harware Firewall that my router has. and then why would you even want to try and do that, it's just one persons private computer. the people that can do that would be trying to hack into a companies credit card data store server instead.

and i wouldn't recommend using any freeware virus or firewall apps since they're are the most wide spread and easily cracked into apps around.

TGM
+ DFI LanParty-UT NF3 250GB skt754
+ Bios Rev. TMOD's 06/23/2005
+ A64 Newark Mobile 4000+ @ 5000+ (9x341) 3070mhz | Idle 30C Load 39C
+ Asetek Waterchill BIX Dual
+ 2x512 G.Skill 1GBLA TCCD @ DDR512 (CPUz 256mhz 2.0-3-3-6-1T)
+ XFX 7800GS OC'd to 460/1500
+ SATA150 2x WD360Raptors NVRaid RAID-0
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Cooler Master CMStacker case
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

honestly when im not using my routers firewall i rather like the NV firewall, i think its much better than either windows firewall or zonealarm.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

well, in my mind there's nothing better than a NAT router with Hardware firewall from Netgear for incoming attacks; then a software firewall/Virus/Spyware scanner, that you must pay for like McAfee, for outgoing events, like worms that send themselves to everyone in you address book or send out requests from their spyware and trojans servers to install themselves while you're asleep.

so, i have hardware defense on incoming, software defense for outgoing virus and unknown file requests from the internet, plus spyware scanner.

that said, i'll not be using the nv firewall. not that it's bad; altho numerous people can't stand the nv firewall. but your router already has an inherent hardware firewall called NAT (Network Address Translator); can't hack into a coputers hdd if there isn't one there :)

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

TheGeekMistress wrote:well, in my mind there's nothing better than a NAT router with Hardware firewall from Netgear for incoming attacks; then a software firewall/Virus/Spyware scanner, that you must pay for like McAfee, for outgoing events, like worms that send themselves to everyone in you address book or send out requests from their spyware and trojans servers to install themselves while you're asleep.

so, i have hardware defense on incoming, software defense for outgoing virus and unknown file requests from the internet, plus spyware scanner.

that said, i'll not be using the nv firewall. not that it's bad; altho numerous people can't stand the nv firewall. but your router already has an inherent hardware firewall called NAT (Network Address Translator); can't hack into a coputers hdd if there isn't one there :)

TGM
the one thing better than NAT is ACL access control lists :) our cisco routers alowe us to filter anything we want, even particular words out of an email :) Nat is great for home use and simplicity, but even with nat, a deturmined hacker can simply spoof your ip and sit there with a sniffer. They can then recreate your internal topology based on the information contained inside the packets. This however is too much work for 99% of hackers, and unless you have something of value they simply are not going to bother.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

TheGeekMistress wrote:well, in my mind there's nothing better than a NAT router with Hardware firewall from Netgear for incoming attacks; then a software firewall/Virus/Spyware scanner, that you must pay for like McAfee, for outgoing events, like worms that send themselves to everyone in you address book or send out requests from their spyware and trojans servers to install themselves while you're asleep.
I thought the whole thing with the NV Firewall was that it was supposed to be hardware based :?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

gvblake22 wrote:
I thought the whole thing with the NV Firewall was that it was supposed to be hardware based :?
It's hadware based, as in that it will filter/scan packets etc. (data) going through......the main advandage is that it uses TCP/IP offload, --> gigabit ethernet running @ speed consumes alot of CPU cycles......this hardware part is to reduce the load on the cpu.
A router uses NAT, which means your public IP is assigned to the router.
The router uses internal tables to forward your data to a private (internal) IP address (normally 192.168.1.*) --> this means if someone is trying to portscan / hack you they are only attacking the router.......
THIS IS NOT A FIREWALL.....but it does provide protection.
Most routers have basic firewalls too, which will drop unsolicited data packets and close unused ports....
Yves is the only one here who has a "real" firewall AFAIK.......
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

infinitevalence wrote:

TGM
the one thing better than NAT is ACL access control lists :) our cisco routers alowe us to filter anything we want, even particular words out of an email :) Nat is great for home use and simplicity, but even with nat, a deturmined hacker can simply spoof your ip and sit there with a sniffer. They can then recreate your internal topology based on the information contained inside the packets. This however is too much work for 99% of hackers, and unless you have something of value they simply are not going to bother.
yes, thats all true.

I was trying to make a point of, is that it's on the very low side of the percentage that someone is going to have the knolwledge and the time of going and targeting one person on one computer and/or home LAN; Then doing it day after day after day to the same person to make said map of network. who would do that? percentages is on our side is just the overall "keep the honest people honest" type of hardware like NAT and hardware Firewalls that are in many Routers today.

so without going into ever deepening deatil for explaination's sake distracts from my point so i simplied it a bit in areas.

ok? :)

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

i have used it and i thought it was pretty good. i did not like nortons or mcfee. i really hate the control suite that is installed with it.

i also use avg antivirus. it is free and works great. i have never had any problems.
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

i worked with it a little but never show so much lavarage over other FW and it was still eating my CPU...
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

pmanipole wrote:i have used it and i thought it was pretty good. i did not like nortons or mcfee. i really hate the control suite that is installed with it.

i also use avg antivirus. it is free and works great. i have never had any problems.
yah, i used to use AVG too. never again will i use it tho. it let in multiple viruses into my system and it took me teo weeks to get them all out. soon as you tried to kill one it would spawn another. you caouldn't delete the files b/c they were marked "in use" by winxp.

so, i finally bit the bullet and bought the Internet Sercurity Suite from McAfee and it picks up the virus before i knew what happened. sometimes i need to look at my log files just to see the event.

with mcafee, you don't need to have to the log in control panel activated, just uninstall it and the virus and firewll still work fine.

AVG is nice for a freeware app, but since it is freeware, just like zone alarm, it's free for every hacker to hack away at till they've broken it. also the hacker has a much larger client base to scan since so many people don't want ot pay for protection.

that my 2 cents :)

TGM
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
OsamaBinAthlon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by OsamaBinAthlon »

TheGeekMistress wrote: i used to use AVG too. never again will i use it tho. it let in multiple viruses into my system and it took me teo weeks to get them all out. soon as you tried to kill one it would spawn another. you caouldn't delete the files b/c they were marked "in use" by winxp.
Mebbe run AVG in safe mode?
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

im still thinking the good AV worth the money the constant update and the security is worth it.
i don't understand why part of the money we pay the ISP is put into that
Aratae
Legit User
Legit User

Re: nVidia nVFirewall: Thoughts/Opinions??

Post by Aratae »

I dumped it and use Comodo and (knock wood) no problems with it yet.
eMachines T5010 desktop, modified with Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+ dual core processors @ 2.3GHZ, 3GB Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC-6400 (399Mhz)-[DDR2-800], 420 Watt PSU, Windows XP Home Edition and XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX (1/17/08).
skier

Post by skier »

:shock: :shock: Now THAT is a thread revival :shock: a year and 10+ months :shock:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Haha, I think that deserves some kind of reward! =D>
:axe: :rolleyes: :toimonster: