drop your chipset temp by 4-5 °C w/ a BIOS setting

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
graysky
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

drop your chipset temp by 4-5 °C w/ a BIOS setting

Post by graysky »

I recently started to remove the "auto" setting from some of the user configurable voltages in my P5B-Del and noticed that not only is my system stable to 2x orthos for >2 h (and still counting, I'll probably stop it after 6), but the "system or chipset" temp as measured by speedfan (Winbond W83627DHG sensor array) has dropped as well which to me means the auto settings were very likely over-volting one or more of these numbers just like it did to the vcore on my CPU before I manually set that too.

Anyway, the last time I did a 2x orthos stress test, room temp was about 72 °F (it's 71 now) and the "system" temp as measured by speedfan was 42-43 °C after 2 h. Now it's 37-38 °C which is an easy 4-5 °C cooler. It was 37 for the majority of the test and just recently went up to 38. I'm running a q6600 @ 9x333 with a CPU vcore of 1.3250v. The other settings are set to their minimum values:

Code: Select all

FSB Term. voltage: 1.2v
NB vcore: 1.25v
SB vcore: 1.5v
ICH Chipset voltage: 1.057v
In case you don't know, orthos is a great app to find minimum stable voltage settings since it will stop and report an error if the math doesn't = known values.

Conclusion: don't leave your voltages set to auto, at least with a P5B-Deluxe, if you want to minimize your system temps.
http://encoding.n3.net <--- for all your DVD and audio CD backup needs!

Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: drop your chipset temp by 4-5 °C w/ a BIOS setting

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Manually setting your system voltages "SHOULD" be pretty much a given for those that are really into OC'ing, not only will it lower your temps, you could also get a higher OC as well............. :mrgreen:
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

graysky wrote:but the "system or chipset" temp as measured by speedfan (Winbond W83627DHG sensor array) has dropped as well which to me means the auto settings were very likely over-volting one or more of these numbers just like it did to the vcore on my CPU before I manually set that too.
Can you please open a case with Intel support so we can get this fixed in the BIOS, this in incredible. Intel quality is dropping like a rock.
Think for yourself, question authority!
graysky
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by graysky »

I don't think it's an Intel problem... it's how the manufacture programed the board... also, remember that your average computer user doesn't know sh*t about sh*t when it comes to the very basic of computer related issues. I suspect it's overvolting to more or less insure stability. I'm just thankful the more advanced options are unlocked and accessible for people who want more control over their hardware.

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

all the Intel's board overvolt. The main thing is that it overvolts your vcore a ton.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

You have to remember that the average user has no idea he can adjust voltage, frequency, etc so they configure it that way to make sure everything is stable. I don't think your grandmother uses CoreTemp and SpeedFan to make sure her computer is nice and cool :P
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

Yup. Setting your Vcore @ Auto while overclocking is a BAAAAD idea. You get like 0,2V more than what you need. I have a "modest" 3,2GHz OC on my E6400. This one sucks a lot of power so Vcore is a bit high at 1,43V. One time I set it @ Auto and it was approximately 1,7V! :shock:
largon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by largon »

One time I set it @ Auto and it was approximately 1,7V!
I bet there are tons of people out there that run these things with AUTO volts and eventually they end up with fried CPUs, etc.
They should make AUTO the same as Default voltage, not some figure the board conjures out of nothing, damnit. :evil:
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

largon wrote:
One time I set it @ Auto and it was approximately 1,7V!
I bet there are tons of people out there that run these things with AUTO volts and eventually they end up with fried CPUs, etc.
They should make AUTO the same as Default voltage, not some figure the board conjures out of nothing, damnit. :evil:
Yeah. At least with this board (P5B Deluxe) the "Auto" vcore voltage is NEVER the CPU default vcore even at stock speeds. It just auto adjusts it as it sees "fit" :vom:
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

:shock: Interesting, I have mine set to auto and it never sees above 1.325v. @2.8Ghz.

It will dynamically go from around 1.1v to 1.325v as needed with speedstep enabled.
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I prefer to set my voltages manually as using the "auto" settings tend to increase the voltages more than they need to be.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

IRQ Conflict wrote::shock: Interesting, I have mine set to auto and it never sees above 1.325v. @2.8Ghz.

It will dynamically go from around 1.1v to 1.325v as needed with speedstep enabled.
Well you don't have a P5B Deluxe :P
sbinh
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by sbinh »

graysky wrote:I recently started to remove the "auto" setting from some of the user configurable voltages in my P5B-Del and noticed that not only is my system stable to 2x orthos for >2 h (and still counting, I'll probably stop it after 6), but the "system or chipset" temp as measured by speedfan (Winbond W83627DHG sensor array) has dropped as well which to me means the auto settings were very likely over-volting one or more of these numbers just like it did to the vcore on my CPU before I manually set that too.

Anyway, the last time I did a 2x orthos stress test, room temp was about 72 °F (it's 71 now) and the "system" temp as measured by speedfan was 42-43 °C after 2 h. Now it's 37-38 °C which is an easy 4-5 °C cooler. It was 37 for the majority of the test and just recently went up to 38. I'm running a q6600 @ 9x333 with a CPU vcore of 1.3250v. The other settings are set to their minimum values:

Code: Select all

FSB Term. voltage: 1.2v
NB vcore: 1.25v
SB vcore: 1.5v
ICH Chipset voltage: 1.057v
In case you don't know, orthos is a great app to find minimum stable voltage settings since it will stop and report an error if the math doesn't = known values.

Conclusion: don't leave your voltages set to auto, at least with a P5B-Deluxe, if you want to minimize your system temps.
At your OCing rate like that .. you don't even need to set SB vcore and ICH Chipset Voltage ... Those two can be set to AUTO ... :D
Image Image
graysky
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by graysky »

sbinh wrote:At your OCing rate like that .. you don't even need to set SB vcore and ICH Chipset Voltage ... Those two can be set to AUTO ... :D
I think you do (at least w/ the P5B-Del) because some boards will use voltage settings the are excessive and you will run hotter.

IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

rpsgc wrote:Well you don't have a P5B Deluxe :P
I was replying to this in perticular.
dicecca112 wrote:all the Intel's board overvolt. The main thing is that it overvolts your vcore a ton.
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Manually setting your system voltages "SHOULD" be pretty much a given for those that are really into OC'ing, not only will it lower your temps, you could also get a higher OC as well............. :mrgreen:
Once again ya speak the truth there... :mrgreen:

If I am given the option I will change most of my voltages from AUTO to their exact default values. There is no perfect board that can perfectly tune itself, a board would be doing well to just come close. For overclockers this also lets you tweak individual settings by themselves to see just what the results are, thereby removing a great deal of guesswork out of overclocking. It's rather hard to reproduce previous results when the board happens to AUTOmatically change a voltage setting due to a single change one made themself elsewhere in the BIOS. #-o
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water