Help making Decision

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
gsimpson63
Legit User
Legit User

Help making Decision

Post by gsimpson63 »

I have a D945GTPLR Mobo, and on the Intel site the recommended memory speed is 667, I want to upgrade the memory and wanted to know if anyone has used 800, the board Proc is a P631 3.0 800mhz. Any suggestions would be helpfull thanks.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help making Decision

Post by DMB2000uk »

Intel only supports running 667Mhz on this board, so if you were to put in 800Mhz RAM then it would run at 667Mhz still.

To get the RAM to run at 800Mhz, you'd have to overclock your whole system, and I'm not sure what (if any) overclocking options your board supports.

How much were you looking to spend on some RAM? I know you said you were looking to make the most of what you have, but for under $150 you would be able to get a new motherboard, and a new core 2 based processor that would be tonnes faster than your current rig, and with a little overclocking (that won't even stress your board or memory, as you would be going from 800Mhz to 1066Mhz FSB, which the board is rated to run at) you can have something pretty sweet.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
gsimpson63
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Help making Decision

Post by gsimpson63 »

Thanks Dan, That is something to consider. Eventually I plan on going with the Q6600, for right now with the holiday comming fast, I have budgeted $60 for memory. Around the End of Q1 I was going to hope prices would drop for the Q6600. I had a thought of upgrading the board, for a prestage to accept the Q6600 and higher memory. What would you suggest as a good launch point?

Thanks