D975XBX2 and WinTV HRV-1600

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

D975XBX2 and WinTV HRV-1600

Post by SethC »

I am having a problem with my new TV tuner card. I just did a new build with the Bad Axe 2 MB, an Intel Duo Core E6600 processor, 4 Gs of RAM, and Windows Vista 32 bit.

The build went flawlessly and I was very happy when Vista installed without a single problem. As a note, I did not OC and am using the Intel SATA connectors for my DVD drive and my HD (i.e. no Marvel)

I bought a WinTV HVR-1600 card and when I installed it in the PCI slot, I get my computer posting and then to the "Microsoft Corporation" text with the little loading bar moving at the bottom of the screen. I can hear the HD running and just before it gets read to go to the Vista logo screen, the HD stops and the screen goes to black. I have waited several minutes and nothing.

When I reboot, I am taken to the options screen which allows me to boot in various Safe Modes. However, when I choose any of those options, the same thing happens.

If I pull the card and reboot, everything loads normally. I have tried both PCI slots and the same result occurs.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: D975XBX2 and WinTV HRV-1600

Post by DL126 »

WinTV or Media Center is displaying a green screen instead of video?

This is generally related to the graphics drivers or settings for the graphics card. Try updating the VGA drivers to correct the problem.

For WinTV, you can also try the different modes available in the Primary program (Start/Programs/Hauppauge WinTV/Primary).

Note: If you are running Vista 64 bit and have 4GB of memory or higher installed in the system, you will need to reduce the memory in the system to remedy this problem. This is a known OS issue that is currently being looked into.
I know this is a bit different problem than what you're having ...
But it does show that there is some sort of problem going on with 4GB of RAM. (Notice the note at the bottom of the quote)
Maybe try reducing it by half just to see what happens??
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

Thanks, DL. I will give that a try this weekend.
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

SethC wrote:I am having a problem with my new TV tuner card. I just did a new build with the Bad Axe 2 MB, an Intel Duo Core E6600 processor, 4 Gs of RAM, and Windows Vista 32 bit.

The build went flawlessly and I was very happy when Vista installed without a single problem. As a note, I did not OC and am using the Intel SATA connectors for my DVD drive and my HD (i.e. no Marvel)

I bought a WinTV HVR-1600 card and when I installed it in the PCI slot, I get my computer posting and then to the "Microsoft Corporation" text with the little loading bar moving at the bottom of the screen. I can hear the HD running and just before it gets read to go to the Vista logo screen, the HD stops and the screen goes to black. I have waited several minutes and nothing.

When I reboot, I am taken to the options screen which allows me to boot in various Safe Modes. However, when I choose any of those options, the same thing happens.

If I pull the card and reboot, everything loads normally. I have tried both PCI slots and the same result occurs.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?
If you installed a soundcard and disabled the motherboard's onboard sound, reenable it, and reboot. If all goes well (windows boots normally), leave the onboard sound enabled. I had the same problem when i installed a TV tuner. I don't think it's the tuners, but more about "both PCI slots" being filled with any type of PCI card. See this thread here: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about8778.html (D975XBX2 won’t boot with LAN cable plugged in)
New to "this" forum, not forums!
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

Thanks, sygnus.

Right now, I don't have a sound card in the second PCI slot and was using the onboard sound pending a card purchase. I am still running into the same problem, but will try to follow the link you provided and see if that might give me some insight on a fix.

Thanks again!
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

SethC wrote:Thanks, sygnus.

Right now, I don't have a sound card in the second PCI slot and was using the onboard sound pending a card purchase. I am still running into the same problem, but will try to follow the link you provided and see if that might give me some insight on a fix.

Thanks again!
For curiousity sake try running the system with just 2gig of ram and see what happens. Also Is there a possibility that the tuner card is bad?
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

The tuner card is fine. It ran flawlessly on my old computer.

I will try the 2 gigs route and see what happens.

Just as an FYI, the problem I have been encountering is not unique. I have found several instances via Google with people experiencing the same thing, but there has been no resolution that I have seen as of yet.
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

Yeah, that's why I sent you to the link I provided earlier. Your problem sounded like the boot problem with the lan cable installed.

What kind of video card do you have, and what slot is it in?
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

The video card is the EVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB, but I just took that out and upgraded using their step-up program, so I have to wait for that to get back since there is no onboard video. It was in the first PCI-E slot (i.e. closest to the processor.

BTW, thanks for your patience and help. It is truly appreciated.
sygnus21
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sygnus21 »

Sooo did you figure out your problem?
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

Not yet. Due to work I haven't had a chance to test it out and get things going. I should know more next week.

I wish my workplace would give me computer build time. :o)

I will update when I know more (or need a shoulder to cry on).
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

Here is the update:

The problem is caused from a conflict between the HVR-1660 and the nVidia driver in the Vista Ultimate environment (both 32 and 64 bit). nVidia said they are aware of the problem and hope to have a fix out "sometime soon."

Thankfully, my old WinTV card works with the nVidia drivers, so I have reverted to that until a fix is issued.