D975XBX2 BIOS Settings & Intermittent Hang

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
PJ
Legit User
Legit User

D975XBX2 BIOS Settings & Intermittent Hang

Post by PJ »

I have not been able to find a good explanation of what the following BIOS settings do.

Advanced – Drive Configuration – Use Automatic Mode
Advanced – Management Configuration – ASF Support

Performance – Processor Overrides – Enhanced Power Slope

I am still experiencing an intermittent system hang on startup just after Windows begins to load. I have had this problem with both XP and Vista. I have the latest BIOS, RAID and LAN drivers. It would not be so inconvenient if I did not have the drives in a RAID configuration. Because it is RAID, the system always begins a RAID "Repair and Verification" that takes a few hours.

I do not know what version of the INF Chipset Installation utility was installed. Any help finding out which version was installed would be very helpful. I am currently using Vista Ultimate.
Chassis: Coolermaster Centurian 5
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 ASL
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2 w/ 2838 BIOS
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Memory: 4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2-533
Hard Drive: 4 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda ES (RAID 1 - 2 Vol)
CD/DVD Burner: Plextor 760A
Floppy Drive: Sony MPF-920
Graphics Card: ATI FirePro
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: D975XBX2 BIOS Settings & Intermittent Hang

Post by vbironchef »

Left click start button
go to programs
accessories
system tools
system information

You should be able to see what drivers you have installed. That is with xp pro 32-bit.
PJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by PJ »

If anyone has any more information about the BIOS settings then the very brief explaination given in the following link, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 020304.htm

Since I am still having the intermittent boot problems, any suggestions about BIOS settings that differ from the default settings would also be greatly appreciated.

vbironchef

Thanks, this information is also available in MS Vista. It is my understanding that the Intel Chipset drivers tell the operating system which drivers to install.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Hi PJ, here are a few links to look at. ASF

Advanced – Drive Configuration – Use Automatic Mode should be pretty self explanatory. It just uses default settings to set your boot order. Or you can choose to manually configure it to boot from the CD rom or DVD rom to install the OS.

As for "Power Slope" Ive heard conflicting testimony on what it actually does. Iv'e never had to use it in my overclocking adventures. I'd leave it disabled.

The only time I had problems with a BIOS hang was fixed by not using the PS/2 port for the mouse. If you are, get a USB mouse and see if that clears it up for you. I have my raid array on the Intel controller, lots of people had problems with the marvel. So if your using the marvel controller switch to the Intel one and see if that fixes things for ya! :)
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit