Mobo for a Quad Core i7 920

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
ilive4eva
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Mobo for a Quad Core i7 920

Post by ilive4eva »

Hi, i'm a n00b when it comes to PC building and was looking to put together a rig that'll need little upgrading for a while. I'm pretty taken on the i7 920 as the value for money seems great. But i was wondering on a decent motherboard for it that'll support SLI/ CrossfireX and a decent amount of RAM (Preferbly DDR3 but not that fuss if it supports DDR2). I've been looking at the ASUS Rampage 2 Gene or the EVGA X58 SLI LE and the XFX X58i. Not got a case yet so not fussy on Form Factor. Also not looking to pay more than £300 -£350 (Not sure how much dollar that is maybe about $500) at the very most but might be presuaded if it is streaks ahead any other in that price range. Many thanks (Sorry for the wall of text).
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mobo for a Quad Core i7 920

Post by DMB2000uk »

I quite like the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 personally (I've just bought one for a i7 upgrade myself).

Currently in the x58 motherboards there's no one board that stands out from the crowd (that isn't ridiculously expensive). So as long as the board can overclock reasonably well then you're good to go.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I can recommend what brand not to get, ECS. I also have a Asus X58 board that works well.
ilive4eva
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ilive4eva »

Thanks for the quick replies guys. How could i tell from the spec which ones of the X58 range overclocks ok? Sorry as i said i'm a n00b! Thanks.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You can't, which is where review sites like legit
reviews come into play. :)

From what I read up on x58 motherboards though, they all overclocked reasonably well and like I said, non of them really stand out as being better over all than any of the other boards. So either go with a brand you like, board that looks cool, or one that is the right price. Then when you've narrowed it down, check out motherboard reviews to make sure you are happy with it's performance.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

As an aside I'd go with the DDR3 as it has has come down to a reasonable price and would allow you the max benefit of triple channel memory.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

I just bought the evga X58 SLI LE. I haven't finished getting my components yet though so it's not built. The reviews I've read on it so far have been very favorable though and it was the best IMO in that price range. I almost didn't get it because it will only take 12GB, but I figured the likelyhood of me needing to upgrade my RAM before I need a new MB is unlikely.
~Camride~

MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCTS

Ci7 920, EVGA X58 SLI LE, 12GB OCZ Platinum 1333, eVGA 8800GT Superclock, Enermax Liberty 500W, Acer 22" LCD, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit