continuity between Power Switch pins does not turn system on

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Kevin Cain
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

continuity between Power Switch pins does not turn system on

Post by Kevin Cain »

I can't turn on my newish system, a problem that developed a month or so after I built it. Since my Intel DP55KG mainboard light is illuminated green, I'd assumed that my system not turning on was a case of a bad power switch in the fairly high-end Antec case. However, testing the switch by shorting the 'Power Switch' leads on the mainboard surprised me: continuity across the leads does not start the system as it should. Stranger, crossing the leads *sometimes* works -- both to start and stop the system. It just doesn't work every time.

The PSU is fine -- again, the mainboard has power, so I don't think the PSU (750 watt Corsair) has blown.

Can anyone suggest anything? Could this be a grounding issue for the mainboard itself?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: continuity between Power Switch pins does not turn syste

Post by InspectahACE »

Have you checked to see that EVERY screw is tightened on the motherboard etc? Worse comes to worse, if the PSU is good, it could possibly be a defective case. Just my thoughts.

What are your total system specs?
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Kevin Cain
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Kevin Cain »

Thanks for the fast reply!

Yes, all the screws are in, and no loose screws are trapped behind the mainboard, etc. This system was running just fine for 1-2 months before the power switch became inoperable.

To eliminate the case switch, I've used just bare leads coming from the mainboard power switch block. I can't see how else the case you be causing the system to fault, but of course that doesn't mean that it's not possible.

My specs:

Mainboard: Intel DP55KG Extreme Series Desktop Motherboard (P55 ATX Core i7 Core i5 LGA1156)
CPU: Intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz Quad-Core LGA1156 Desktop Processor + Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performance CPU Cooler CWCH50-1
PSU: Corsair HX750W
RAM: 8 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM + Corsair heat sink
GPU: (2) EVGA EGeForce 9800 GTX cards
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Well, it seems like you've already pinned the problem down. I can't think of anything else that could do it either. I'd call Antec to see what can be done. You've already messed with the switch so I'm not sure what they think about that warranty wise. But I'm thinking the switch on the case is shot. Bummer really. I'm assuming there isn't another case you could try the rig in?
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Constant short will not allow the system to boot, just touch them momentarily.

Double check all the modular connections, make sure one is not loose. If not..., bad piece of hardware could prevent it as well.

To eliminate the case as the issue, pull the board out of the case and set it up on a sheet of cardboard. Plug in only the basics to boot. CPU, 1 stick of ram, and 1 vid card (so you can see post) if it boots you have a standoff touching something it shouldn't. If it doesn't swap the vid cards and try again, if it doesn't do the same for each stick of ram.

Also while you have the board out look for burnt traces.

Pull the PSU from everything, get a paper clip and short the PSU between the green wire and any black wire. hook up a case fan. plug the PSU into the wall and see if it comes on. If it doesn't the PSU is shot. if it does could be the board. bum a PSU from a buddy and see if it will start the system. If it still doesn't. Its the board.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson