Z68

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
KABLE
Legit User
Legit User

Z68

Post by KABLE »

With Intel's new Z68 chipset released, I had a question regarding their Smart Response Technology SSD Caching. I know it requires an HDD and an SSD but what I'm not completely sure of is if it has to be a dedicated SSD. Meaning, can I install something like the Windows 7 OS and then use the unused memory on the same SSD as the SSD to pair with my HDD for SRT Caching?

-KABLE
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Z68

Post by Apoptosis »

No, it won't work on an SSD...

Check out this article I wrote: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1587/1/

On the last page I ran two SSDs...

With an SSD installed into the system it won't even let you run accelerate as the tab in the software is missing. I talked to Intel about this and they said...

It makes NO SENSE to cache in front of an SSD. You’ll get higher performance by just using the SSD.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KABLE
Legit User
Legit User

Post by KABLE »

So it's my understanding that you need to have a deticated SSD paired with an HDD with everything installed in it in order sor the SRT Caching to work, correct? If I were to have a boot SSD drive, though, I would need a separate SSD along with the one deticated for Caching, right?

-KABLE
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Yes, that's what I took away from the article. But according to the Intel engineers using a SSD as a cache drive with a SSD boot drive "MAKES NO SENSE".
KABLE
Legit User
Legit User

Post by KABLE »

Cool. Thanks for clearing everything up for me, guys.

-KABLE