New Motherboard install help.

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

New Motherboard install help.

Post by [email protected] »

Hi,
I just installed a new Gigabyte Motherboard. The system boots-up, but will not run windows (Vista 64) in any mode. The board came with a utility called Xpress recovery2, but when I try to back-up it says there is not enough room on the HDD. Its (C:drive) an SSD 64gig so its almost full. Although I have no data on this drive, my operating programs are a complicated pain in the butt, (to reinstall)

How can I get this running without having to re-install Vista and all my programs ?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New Motherboard install help.

Post by Major_A »

Did you buy a new board, plug in your old drive with Windows/apps already on it? Or did you buy the board, format the drive then reinstall Windows? Those scenarios make a world of difference. The only time I've been able to take a drive that already had Windows on it and move it, with minimal issue was going from the SAME EXACT chipset as before. Example: Move from an ASUS board with the X58 chipset to a Gigabyte board with the X58 chipset.
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Thanks Major.

The motherboard died, and is no longer in production. The new motherboard uses a different chipset, so from what I'm reading I'm stuck with a complete Vista re-install. Live and learn.

Thanks for the reply.

Pete
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you'll want to do a clean install on any new chipset no matter what, so no worries! You'll have a fresh and clean install anyway now!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Thanks,
It wasnt so bad.

Pete