Ga ex58 ud3r missing ram

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
hp2r
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Ga ex58 ud3r missing ram

Post by hp2r »

I have purchased 2x4gb memory modules (total 8gbs) and have placed them in dual channel configuration on my Gigabyte motherboard.

I then noticed that Windows would detect 8gb installed (4gb usable) in system properties and 4gb hardware reserved in resource monitor.

I have searched the internet for possible causes. I know that the ram modules are fine, in fact I had this problem on my old 3x1gb modules but I didnt realise that 1 channel would be missing.

I have attached this image from my bios to show the problem:

As you can see, the bios detects the ram installed in the Slots but Enabled Slots only show 1 4gb module installed.

In CPU-Z, the dual channel configuration appears to be enabled, even though the BIOS only enables 1 slot:

I have also read that this problem can be caused by bent pins in the CPU socket. I have taken these images and circled the pins which appear slightly bent. I just wanted some opinions before I touch them if these pins are indeed bent. Could this be the cause of my missing ram?

Here are the images of the cpu socket:

Thanks
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ga ex58 ud3r missing ram

Post by vbironchef »

Please tell me you are not running Windows XP. If you are that's your problem.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

From the manual:

"When enabling Dual Channel mode with two modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity,
brand, speed, and chips be used. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules,
be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_4 or DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets."

vbironchef is correct, if you are running any 32bit OS then only 4GB is available to the OS and actually some of that is used as overhead so application usable memory will actually be ~3.2 to 3.5GB.

That said, in your screen capture it appears that CPU-Z is seeing the full 8GB and that the RAM is running dual channel, could just be some BIOS display bug.

You could try running HWInfo or another system info application that is more in-depth than CPU-Z
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
hp2r
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by hp2r »

Thanks for the replies.

I am running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

I decided to install one of my old 1x1gb mem modules. So I now have 2x4gb + 1x1gb memory installed. However, the BIOS always seems to decide to 'ignore' a single 4gb module. So I will have 5gb total. Everything, from System Properties (9gb installed, 5gb usable), Resource Monitor (4gb hardware reserved) and the BIOS screen will report 5gb in total. However, in HWInfo, it reports all the memory modules. See screens below:

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Have you flashed your bios to the newest version?
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

What BIOS version do you have? Looking here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... =2989#bios the F11 is the latest BIOS that also contains memory compatibility fixes (there have been three updates to fix memory compatibility issues). May or may not help, this is an odd one I must admit!
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
apocalypse
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by apocalypse »

I'm using 8GB DDR3 RAM(4G*2) & using windows 7 64 bit ultimate. no problems found.
u can try switching to ultimate edition or u can change ports. read the motherboard manual for installing memory modules.

i've installed two rams in DIMM 1 & DIMM 2( same color slots)

also check that RAM if its okay. & check if that slot is ok...