Installed I7-960 Big problem

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
stumped
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Installed I7-960 Big problem

Post by stumped »

Hey there folks...I have a desktop with a DX58SO motherboard, I7-920 cpu, ACE-580UB Power supply, Windows7 Home Premium, ATI Radeon HD4870 1024mb. I bought a I7-960 cpu and installed it. Now I have no signal to my External monitor...the video card doesn't seem to start at all...no fan action. All I did is change the processor...what did I do wrong?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installed I7-960 Big problem

Post by Apoptosis »

Could be a bad processor... Did you buy it new or was it used off something like Ebay?

I'm guessing you updated the boards BIOS to the latest version before you installed the new CPU and cleared the CMOS when nothing happened.

Intel released 25 BIOS updates for that board since it came to market, so be sure to update that as you might just be missing the CPU ID string for the BIOS.

Did you put the Core i7-920 back into the system to see if worked still? If it does, update the BIOS and try again. You can find the latest BIOS from here - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... x58so.html
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
stumped
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by stumped »

Thank you for reply. The bios was current....is there a different bios for systems running 960 vs 920? I bought the 960 yesterday from Microcenter...$199 new in box. Does the 960 have different power requirements than the 920? I am waiting for my son-in-law to bring over a spare monitor to eliminate that as the culprit. Have been using google and see lots of horror stories but no concrete answers (that work).
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I know with the DX58SO I use on the test bench when it flakes out I have to clear/reset the BIOS.

Might try a different PSU to rule out that as the issue.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stumped
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by stumped »

Thank you guys for the help. I reset the cmos and all is well =D>