Z77 board recommendations?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
CaptChuck
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Z77 board recommendations?

Post by CaptChuck »

Well it's time for a new build. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Z77 boards.

Right now, I'm thinking I'm either going with an i-5 3550 or the i-7 3770. I've never OC'd anything so that is not a priority for me. I'm also planning on a 7950 or 7970 video card, 16GB of RAM (1600MHZ), and a sound card. So, I don't think I need a real high end board, just a solid mid level should do.

I've seen some of the boards feature Lucid Virtu MVP software and was wondering if that is worth having.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!!
Win 7 Home
Intel i5 3570K
Antec Kuhler 620 CPU cooler
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W PS
Asus P77-V LE
16GB Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM
Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Asus Xonar DS 7.1 Sound Card
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA II HD
LG DVD
Asus DVD RW
Mason@ASUS
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Z77 board recommendations?

Post by Mason@ASUS »

One advantage of Lucid Virtu MVP is that you'll always be able to use the Quick Sync feature of the CPU/integrated GPU at the same time as using your discrete graphics card.

The next advantage of Virtu MVP is Virtual VSync which will eliminate any screen tearing but still allow you to use V-Sync. If the game you're playing never drops below 60FPS then Virtual VSync doesn't do much for you because even with V-Sync enabled you wouldn't get any screening. However, in the case that the game you're playing drops below 60FPS while you have V-sync enabled then you will have screen tearing. Virtual VSync effectively eliminates this. Keep in mind that the game you're playing has to support Virtual VSync for you to be able to use this feature.

Another potential advantage is Virtu HyperFormance, which again, has to support the game you're playing in order to get a benefit from it. With more basic graphic configurations, GPU <= $125, then HyperFormance can potentially give you an increase in performance and FPS. As this features starts supporting more titles we will be able to get more of an accurate measure of performance increase.
CaptChuck
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Z77 board recommendations?

Post by CaptChuck »

Mason, you'll be happy (I think...) to see I've settled on a ASUS P8Z77-V LE, a Sapphire 7970 OC vid card (hey it's only money!) and an i-5 3570K CPU. I'll know in a week or so how it all comes together.
Win 7 Home
Intel i5 3570K
Antec Kuhler 620 CPU cooler
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W PS
Asus P77-V LE
16GB Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM
Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Asus Xonar DS 7.1 Sound Card
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA II HD
LG DVD
Asus DVD RW