New build freeze up

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
garyhope
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

New build freeze up

Post by garyhope »

My new build rather too frequently "freezes" up and I have to hit the reset button to reboot and get going again. Then I get the Windows 7 message that it didn't shut down properly.

Other than that, the computer ran right from the start and is SOOOOO much faster than my old set up.

What is the most likely cause of this freeze up? The mobo, the CPU, the RAM, the graphics card or the OS? Or my inept, lame set up, lack of knowledge, poor, stupid set up, etc.

My build is this: ASRock Z68 Pro 3 Mobo
Intel i5 2500K CPU
Crucial M4 64 Gig SSD
WD Caviar Black HD
16 gig G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM
My old PNY Quadro NVS 440 graphics card which runs my 4 monitors from one slot
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
plus my CoolerMaster HAF case, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler, etc.

I may have screwed up setting up ACHI for the SSD

Thanks for the advice, help and wisdom. I appreciate it.

Gar
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New build freeze up

Post by DragonFury »

There are so many things that could cause this it isn't even funny. But the typical things that cause this are, not enough volts to the CPU, and or the memory. Have you tried updating the SSD firmware? (I found this out just recently with my SSD) If not may have to do that in dos mode. I seriously doubt it is from you setting the SSD/HDD to ACHI mode would cause this issue, unless you had the SSD in IDE mode and then switched it to ACHI mode, but this would cause the OS not to load at all. Another possible cause could be the HSF is not properly seated correctly.

I say start with the firm ware on the SSD (again i suggest you update it in DOS not in windows), check the CPU HSF and make sure it is seated properly then we can move from there.

and your computer looks fairly solid, so I think you did fairly well.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New build freeze up

Post by kenc51 »

Is it overclocked?
If so, try default settings.
If it's not overclocked, it's usually the memory or power supply.
I'm guessing memory since you've 16GB. Try increasing the memory voltage on notch via the BIOS.

Also check "Event Viewer" in Windows. R-click computer then goto "Manage"
Lastly, enable blue screen errors. R-click computer then goto properties.
I think it's on the advanced tab, then "startup shutdown" (I havent used windows in a while)

Ken