Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

intel core duo mobo

Post by -mogwai » Thu May 04, 2006 2:45 pm

infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence » Thu May 04, 2006 3:16 pm

yeah just read through that whole thing... the price is totaly insane $250 for a mobo!!! but the performance were seeing gives an indication of where we can expect Conroe to go... it looks like were going to see clock for clock a 2-5% advantage to intel, and up to 30-40% when the app is using the ICC or heavy use of SSE2/SSE3.

The big things im waiting on seeing are FSB limitations of the chipsets, and thermal... how high can we take these CPUs and how hot do they get when we push them. I hope that under load we could be looking at as little as 40c on air.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"

pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes » Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 pm

infinitevalence wrote:yeah just read through that whole thing... the price is totaly insane $250 for a mobo!!! but the performance were seeing gives an indication of where we can expect Conroe to go... it looks like were going to see clock for clock a 2-5% advantage to intel, and up to 30-40% when the app is using the ICC or heavy use of SSE2/SSE3.
Just wish my $200 Intel 955Extreme would support the forthcoming Conroe. :( At the current situation is looks like I'm stuck with a blasted 830 for the next three years. :(
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.

infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence » Thu May 04, 2006 7:39 pm

yeah with the previous gen of P4 chipsets lasted a long time... you could upgrade mobo and keep your chip or some time upgrade your chip and keep your mobo, but now it seems like with every new CPU intel puts out you need a new chipset.

I am on my 3rd AMD on the same chipset, went from SC winchester to SC Venice, now to DC Manchester, and maybe to DC Italy.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Fri May 05, 2006 9:07 am

Guys apparentley the i865 chipset CAN run conroe aswell... all you need is the LGA775 version of it! :)

infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence » Fri May 05, 2006 11:19 am

link?