P4C800-DX/General BIOS Questions (a lot)

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

P4C800-DX/General BIOS Questions (a lot)

Post by Mr. Chan »

I was wondering if I could get a headsup on some of the options in the bios (I'm using default right now) or some links, etc. The manual covers some of them, but it doesn't explain too much in the way of what is the best setting over others, etc. sometimes.

Chipset>Performance Accerlation Mode - I have it on Auto, but what is the difference between Standard and Turbo (I have a feeling I know what this is, but I'm not sure).

Chipset>Spread Spectrum - I basically know what this is (I think), however I am curious to learn more about it.

Chipset>ICH Delayed Transation - default

Chipset>MPS Revision - I have it set to 1.4.

Onboard Devices Config.>Parallel Port Mode - I am curious about this/these modes

PCI PnP>Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA - This sounds like it's for PCI video cards from what the manual says..?

PCI PnP>Pallette Snooping - Aren't ISA devices kinda obsolete? Thought I read that in a book a long time ago...:/

PCI PnP>PCI IDE BusMaster - default

Speech Configuration - I've never heard any 'speech'

Power Menu>Repost Video on S3 Resume - Curiousity :)

Power Menu>ACPI 2.0 Support - Curiosity

Power Menu>ACPI APIC Support - Very Curious

Power Menu>BIOS->AML ACPI Table - Also Very curious...

Boot Settings Config.>Add On ROM Display Mode

Boot Settings Config.>Interrupt 19 Capture - Curious

The endless question about AGP Aperture, I just set it to what my gfx card is, but I'm not sure anymore if that's right (I can't remember what I read about that right now, lol)

lol, sometimes after failed overclocking it comes up like "checking R??...Preparing to flash bios, no drive in cdrom, P4C800.ROM not detected" etc (something like that, lol) and it flashes the bios...it did that twice actually the other day, the first time I said oh well, put the cd in the drive and it flashed it, but I noticed the voltages had more options than default (I had flashed it before, i think lol), however it did it again later and then those voltages were gone, back to the 2-3 presets it had...

Anyone else experience this?

That's about it for now...heh. :)
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Go to the O/C forim, look under the topic "Overclocking Problems with the 2.8E Prescott". I did a write up on the BIOS settings for your board. The manufacturers need to go a much better job of explaining settings. Hope this helps, if you want more help with it, just PM me.
Mr. Chan
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Mr. Chan »

Thanks for your advice, I'll go find it right now :)

I thought the Asus mobo manual was 'very' good, however, no manual answers all the questions or to a degree that you may need it. There's usually a small question or loophole you wonder about.

The fact that a lot of people already know what they're doing before they entirely buy components, is why they are not so thorough, perhaps. As I knew enough to order what I had, but I also had a friend sort of over my shoulder checking behind me (to see what I had learned, mostly lol). I have learned most of everything in technical terms since then, before that I only knew how to take things apart and put them back together (I've always learned that way, but knowing what things are called and then the software part of it, helps tremendously).

Thanks again and here's the link for anyone else who finds this topic appealing - http://www.legitreviews.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=536 (I think this is it, :)
P4C800-DX
P4 2.4C (2952Mhz)
Corsair 2x256MB-XMS3200C2-PT
Radeon 9600 Pro
Windows XP Professional