Unable to POST - D975XBXLKR with E6300

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Unable to POST - D975XBXLKR with E6300

Post by Sporg »

Hello,

I am really scratching my head with this one. A buddy of mine in Denver is putting a rig together and it will not POST. I tried talking him through some troubleshooting over the phone but could not come up with anything conclusive.

Hardware (all components are new):
MB: Intel - D975XBXLKR -- AA D27094-302

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz / 2MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan (CP1-DUO-E6300)

RAM: Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) (C13-3022)

PSU: Ultra 600W X-Finity

Video: XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card (P450-7834)

This is all of the relevant hardware needed to POST, I had him unplug everything else (e.g. hard drive, optical drives).

When he powers it up:
Fans come on, lights come on. Screen is blank, never hits POST. Also, there are no beeps from the motherboard. I had him go back through all of the case connectors to the motherboard and he verified each one.

I had him reseat the video card. I also had him reseat the RAM. I then had him try one stick of RAM in each slot, then the same with other stick. (of course after each of these steps I had him power back up to see)

I read somewhere that some boards my need to have the BIOS flashed before a Conroe CPU can be used. I'm still gathering info on the board to find out if this is the case, if so I have a 775 Celeron that I will send him so that he can hit POST and upgrade the BIOS. I am hoping that this is what the problem is.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends out there with the same technology to verify if the Vid and RAM are working. Any thoughts?
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I honestly can't remember if my board needed a flash or not to support Conroe... If he bought the board new it should have the right BIOS in it by now! It could be a bunch of things since everything is new... could be a dead CPU, dead mobo, BIOS update or a number of things really... Good idea on sending the processor.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

If he bought the board new it should have the right BIOS in it by now!
That was my initial thought, but you never know how long it sat on the shelf. I am still waiting to hear back regarding the board from a friend, but I will probably go ahead and pull the Celeron out of my MAME box and ship it.

Thanks for the quick post.
~Bertrand Russell
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

um Nate, IIRC 302 boards do not support conroe, you need a 304 board

Yup from here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ad+Axe+302

Its a thread to mod 303 Boards and lower for conroe support. So basically it won't post because the processor isn't supported.

If you want to stick with that board, you need a revision 304 or higher.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

OK, thanks for that advice. I'll let my buddy know and see what he wants to do.
~Bertrand Russell
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

oh geez.. I didn't even catch it was a 302 board... good eye

If he just purchased the board get him to return it for a 304 board. No BIOS update can make the 302 board Conroe ready!
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx/bx_proc.htm

I guess I missed that in the "notes" column, now I really feel like a dummy.

Thanks again!
~Bertrand Russell
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

nope no dummy on your part... Intel should have made sure the board was really C2D ready before they made it public...
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

My buddy contacted Tiger and they're drop shipping him a new board. Hopefully not the same thing, as that wouldn't solve any problems. Thanks to everyone for their help.
~Bertrand Russell
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Update.

My buddy got his board (rev 306) last night, I talked him through a couple of issues and windows installed just fine.

I had to look at previous posts, I mentioned that Tiger was going to drop-ship him a new board on Dec 15. Yesterday (Jan 9) is when he finally received the new board. I have never had any problems with Tiger in the past and have recommended them. The way they handled his problem was completely horrible, I don't know how many times he had to call people that either made empty promises or gave him the runaround. Just an fyi to anyone ordering from them - hopefully this was an isolated issue.

My thanks for the help with this issue.
~Bertrand Russell