no (connected at PS/2)
23%

Total votes: 40

jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Yes I'm still up because I think I'm close to solving my problems with this system. I checked the device manager, on the Network Adapters I'm getting 3 question Marks. Why? I don't know as I haven't installed anything else.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Slowly but surely I'm eliminating my problems with this system I have one outstanding issue left to solve & maybe my boot woes will be a fading memory.

Does anyone know what PCI Slot 17 (PCI bus3, device 0 function 0) is all about? It's in the Device manager & shows as a yellow question mark. I've been unable to find drivers for this device. It's string is attached to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the Device manager. Anyone knows how to turn this off in the BIOS? Or how to install the appropriate Driver?
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

jtm55 wrote:Hi All,

I have the Retail version of this board with the BIOS dated 27 Nov 06.
Have you tried the 2395 BIOS (12/20/06)? The very 1st thing I did before installing Windows was to flash the BIOS from the Intel CD image I downloaded and burned from another PC.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

jtm55 wrote:Hi All,

Slowly but surely I'm eliminating my problems with this system I have one outstanding issue left to solve & maybe my boot woes will be a fading memory.

Does anyone know what PCI Slot 17 (PCI bus3, device 0 function 0) is all about? It's in the Device manager & shows as a yellow question mark. I've been unable to find drivers for this device. It's string is attached to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the Device manager. Anyone knows how to turn this off in the BIOS? Or how to install the appropriate Driver?
This might be a silly question but are you sure the Intel chipset drivers are installing properly and are you using the ones off of the CD or the downloaded ones?
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

I flashed the BIOS last night to the latest version. Yes the chipset drivers are installed from the Intel CD
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just heard back from my Intel contact and Rev 504 and Rev 505 boards are on the market...

[quote]Yes, 505 is real. The only difference between 505 and 504 is an updated BIOS (probably required to help our manufacturing process). The same was true of 503 to 504. See attached.

You can view details of these changes on our public web site. The tool is called PCNs (product change notification system). Anyone can sign-up for a instant account and then use the “Search Databaseâ€
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

Apoptosis wrote:Doesn't seem like too much has changed from 503 to 505 from what I've been told.
yeah, THE BIOS has changed (nothing more) ...

btw: where can I get an intel-contect for the BX2 too?
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Does anyone know what PCI Slot 17 (PCI bus3, device 0 function 0) is all about?
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

can't tell you. don't have this device on my system. the network-controller is PCI-Slot 18 (PCI-Bus 4, Device 0, Function 0) here ...
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel D975XBX2 problems

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Dandruff wrote:
DaddyRabbit wrote:- Intel SATA manually configured for native AHCI with primary IDE-controller disabled! ---- My Primary is enabled (HP 740 D Burner)
can you try it with the primary IDE controller disabled?

-> disable it
-> boot to windows (mouse working?)
-> shutdown the pc
-> boot to windows (mouse working?)

and does it "hang" for some seconds showing post-code "94" at the boot-screen with the ide-controller disabled?
OK, I installed AHCI drivers without a hitch and put my controller into AHCI mode.

1) boot with PATA enabled works fine (takes slightly longer but no hangs and no mouse issues)

2) disable PATA controller and I get a much longer boot with the "code 94" hang. I can't test further because Windows BSODs when trying to boot with the standard PATA disabled (WTF?).

This is with MX1000 mouse and G15 keyboard both in USB.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Intel D975XBX2 problems

Post by Dandruff »

DaddyRabbit wrote:2) disable PATA controller and I get a much longer boot with the "code 94" hang. I can't test further because Windows BSODs when trying to boot with the standard PATA disabled (WTF?).
thanks for testing this! much appreciated!

i don't get a bluescreen here.

that's how i installed my machine:

windows xp sp2 cd installed with sata configured as ahci (in automatic mode). sata driver installed via f6 from floppy.

then after the first reboot (before the real setup begins) i've disabled automatic drive-config (and disabled the ide-controller) and removed and disabled the floppy-drive. all works/worked fine (as i was using dvd-rom at sata too).

i only need the ide-controller enabled (automatic mode) to get the cd-rom-boot working.
mikenj
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mikenj »

hey jtm55 - I have had pretty much the same issues as you. installed xp many times, different cd's and versions. Always the same result - could boot safe mode all day long but booting xp proper hangs on the windows splash screen.

I also saw that pci device as you did - this only from safe mode. Nothing seemed to work, so after many frustrating hours I broke down and called Intel. They had me try a couple of quick things, and without futher ado rma'd the board. I am waiting, should have the new one this week. I will let you know if this makes a difference.

For the record:

xbx2
e6600
2 x Zalman ZM600-HP ATX12V 600W
2 x corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (total 4gb)
5 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
matrox g450 pci graphics (sort of legacy, but I dont' game just photoshop)
WinXP pro w/sp2 (msdn licensed copy, running on several other machines)

I have one of the psu's powering the mb, the other all 5 drives + dvd + floppy.

Current bios 2395, intel and marvell drivers that came with the box.

4 drives hooked up to the intel controller, configured as two mirrored pairs. The other drive is hanging off the marvell.

Bios is set for raid, memory was detected at 5 5 5 18 1.84v, I overrode to 5 5 5 12 2.0v.

I get through XP setup ok, carved out 40gb for C: and when I boot after setup, I get the windows splash screen. Goes for about 10-15 seconds, then hangs. Seems to be the same spot everytime. I can boot safe mode, and have looked at many things. Bootlog doesn't help, as nothing gets written from the frozen boots only safe mode boot.

things I have tried:

- boot XP, hangs after 15 seconds with windows splash screen up
- boot safe mode, can get in.
- boot vga, hang. Boot safe mode with network, hang.
- reinstalled xp several times, same results
- installed winxp 64, same result
- installed xp no service pack, same result.
- tried disconnecting the drives from the intel and leave just one drive on marvell, same result.
- msconfig no driver load, same result
- ran memtest86+ and passed multiple times
- removed memory except for one stick, same result.
- chkdsk in safe mode runs fine
- tried disabling most things like 1394, usb, network, etc in multiple combinations, same result
- broke down to single psu, same result

Phew!
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Mikenj, Intel RMA'd the board. Just for the record I have been able to boot all the way into Windows by tapping F8 For Safe Mode then selecting Debugging. I guess I'll have to get in contact with them so I can get a replacement board too. Thanks for the information though.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Finally, I have solved all of my problems with my System. The PCI Slot 17 issue was from the Intel Quick Resume setting in the BIOS. I did some digging & found out that setting is only to be enabled if you have Windows Media Center. My other issue also from the Non Plug & Play Drivers came from the Marvell Controller being Enabled. I have a much faster Boot & no hang ups getting into Windows now. However, I do have the constantly lit Hard Drive Light.

FYI before I made these changes I was able to get into Windows by initially hitting F8 during POST & selecting the Debugging option.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input & support.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I have been having similar problems with this board. I RMA'd mine last week with the egg, hopefully get the replacement soon. Took several hours just to get xp to load, once loaded it was extremely unstable. Swapped all of my hardware with known good hardware and the only thing left was the motherboard. Has been a very frustrating build, I share your pain.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Sporg, your problems seem to be different from mine in that you're saying your System Is Unstable. My System, once I was able to get into Windows was & is completely stable. My problem was getting windows not to hang up at the splash screen. My initial work around was to hit the F8 key during POST which will give you the option of going into Safe Mode. Once there I selected the Debugging option, which let me get into windows. Once there my system performed without issue.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I guess my problems fall in line more with mikenj.

But when I did have xp up and running I could usually restart it and get through the splash screen. If I shut it down completely, then it would freeze at the splash screen. I was able to boot into safe mode, and was also able to get in through debug mode. I don't have the errors with me from when it was blue screening but some of them were IRQ related.
From memory:
0x0000000A (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
0x000000B4 (video)
There were others, but these two I remembered.

I had the latest BIOS installed as of last week and here is what I tried:
- several low-level formats of the SATA drive
- ran memtest86 on the RAM, using a variety of configurations
- swapped video cards with someone else
- swapped RAM with someone else (known good and compatible)
- checked PSU voltages and swapped PSU with someone else (known good)
- disabled almost everything on board that I could

Was able to get win2k loaded (for giggles), but with some issues. There were USB problems, never did get them resolved. Tried using the latest Intel drivers and that didn't do the trick either.

Anyway, I'm still working through mine, I'm glad you got yours working. I honestly can't remember if I had the Intel Quick Resume enabled or not. Good info though for when the replacement shows up, thanks for the update.
~Bertrand Russell
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Sporg, I never got any BSD or IRQ messages either. I believe all of my problems were from that @*&%#% Marvell controller. Apoptosis through His contact at Intel says that a BIOS fix for said controller should be released 8 Jan 07. Hopefully all of these issues will be put to bed at that time. I hope when you receive your replacement from the Egg all of your issues will be resolved as well
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Fair enough. Seems like a lot of the BDX2 boards are having problems, which is frustrating because they aren't that cheap.
~Bertrand Russell
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

it's more a buggy bios than faulty bords i would say ...

but i agree. such things are inacceptable. but it's normal these days. the user is the beta tester ...