no (connected at PS/2)
23%

Total votes: 40

Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

Dandruff wrote:
Dandruff wrote:today my ps/2 mouse also was working after a shutdown of my system overnight. maybe 2507 did solve this for me. will see what the next shutdowns/restarts will bring here ...
2nd shutdown overnight -> just booted => ps/2 mouse recognized/working! looks good so far!
3rd shutdown -> new boot => ps/2 mouse works :supz:

this night i'll also power off the psu completely. if the mouse works on the next boot then, i'll see this issue as fixed.
[email protected]
Legit User
Legit User

Post by [email protected] »

XP 64 has been running nicely since, and despite the overclocking it is very quiet. I tried to set my mem to 4-4-4-15, but then I get all sorts of weird booting problems, so I left the mem at 5-5-5-16.
I've had some difficulty oc'ing this mobo. Had the qx6700 to 3.42GHz w/ a multiplier of 12 and 285 (using Zalman CNPS9700 for cooling). Ran like a dream 'till I rebooted. Had to set all my settings back to default. Haven't had the courage to try again just yet.
I had set 4-4-4-15 (2 GB OCZ plat ed PC6400) as well... ran OK until the above. I played around with the voltages for awhile, but couldn't get anything but a black screen after the Vista logo appeared.

To be honest, it doesn't seem all that important to oc right now. The Kentsfield (qx6700) is an amazing processor. When the 45nm chips come out I may want to revisit oc'ing just to try to keep up.

btw - if it interests anyone, my box got a 5.7 windows experience index on vista x64...

-Mike, MXOtech
utw
Legit User
Legit User

Post by utw »

[email protected] wrote:I've had some difficulty oc'ing this mobo. Had the qx6700 to 3.42GHz w/ a multiplier of 12 and 285 (using Zalman CNPS9700 for cooling). Ran like a dream 'till I rebooted. Had to set all my settings back to default. Haven't had the courage to try again just yet.
I had set 4-4-4-15 (2 GB OCZ plat ed PC6400) as well... ran OK until the above. I played around with the voltages for awhile, but couldn't get anything but a black screen after the Vista logo appeared.

-Mike, MXOtech
I now have the mem at 4-4-4-12 at 2.0v, everything is still fine ...... but the biggest problem is still that I have to disable this multiplexing thing, so I am still left with a crippled PC :(

I hope Intel will release a new BIOS soon that enables all cores to be working in both XP 64 and Vista 64
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

Dandruff wrote:this night i'll also power off the psu completely. if the mouse works on the next boot then, i'll see this issue as fixed.
mouse works. problem fixed 8)
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Grrr!!! I BUY INTEL FOR ROCK SOLIDNESS, NOT THIS MESS!!

Post by inteleagle »

I'm very disappointed with my new D975XBX2 motherboard.

Issues: Audio install was a harrowing, multi-hour install mess. Desktop utility hangs. Bios ignores keys hit while posting.
Geodesic
Legit User
Legit User

Alternatives?

Post by Geodesic »

Some of you know I've been having a tough time with my D975XBX2 from other threads. I'm entertaining the idea of RMAing it...but what are the alternatives?

I'm running a Q6600. I need SATA RAID and at least to conventional PCI slots. I've got a Gigabyte GV-RX195P256D-RH (ATI X1950) video card.

I think I'd prefer a 975X chipset, but I guess that's negotiable. I don't really plan to overclock.

Suggestions?

-Bryan
utw
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Alternatives?

Post by utw »

Geodesic wrote:Some of you know I've been having a tough time with my D975XBX2 from other threads. I'm entertaining the idea of RMAing it...but what are the alternatives?

I'm running a Q6600. I need SATA RAID and at least to conventional PCI slots. I've got a Gigabyte GV-RX195P256D-RH (ATI X1950) video card.

I think I'd prefer a 975X chipset, but I guess that's negotiable. I don't really plan to overclock.

Suggestions?

-Bryan
I only have problems with XP 64 and multiplexing ....... XP 32 was fine and ran without problems.

When AMD first introduced 64 bit processing to the desktop, Intel said 64 was mature yet for the market ........ they were so right.

I dont have Vista 64, but everybody that I know who tried Vista, eventually switched back to XP.
hox
Legit User
Legit User

Post by hox »

@Geodesic et al.,

I was running a qx6700 with a bx2, 4 sticks of crucial ddr2 1000 ram evga 8800gtx graphics and a pc power and cooling 850 watt powersupply. My board revision was 502. I did not experience any difficulty with the sound system using the program from the MB CD. I did experience a difficulty when I went to update this OEM program using the downloads from intel's web site. The programs were not the same and screwed everything to do with the audio up. I un-installed the "newer" files and re-installed the one from the CD and all was good.

Now to your question, overclocking is a PIA with the non xeon quad cores right now if you want to realize a fsb over 300. 680i chipset makers are addressing this issue. DFI's RD600 chipset addresses this issue, and there is discussion at the techrepository.com site that discusses the issue and what is needed to make current 975x motherboards support a higher fsb with the non xeon quad core cpus. Soldering and adding resistors is required and not something that would be easy for me.

I opted to shelve my bx2, simply because I felt it was not a worth my time to hassle with for my primary workstation. Bios features such as the floppy drive as a boot option disappearing and reappearing, random reassignment of my boot hard drive which changed without any input from me or system changes, and hard drives not even being recognized on the controllers, top my list of headaches. Worse intel's desktop utilities program kept crashing, and listing my hard drives as bad, so monitoring temps, voltages etc were left to other applications. I also tried the intel desktop control center program which also crashed repeatedly. In general the board never stabilized sufficiently for my intended use as my workstation MB. So its gathering dust.

I replaced it with an Asus P5WDG2 WS-pro, its about $329 at several sites. It supported quad core right out of the box. Asus has continued to update its bios, there is even a new beta version on their site but I dont need it currently. It has the same marvel controller as the intel board, but guess what, drives actually show up, and they stay as you configured them. The asus bios has canned overclocks, which I have tried up to 20% and all is stable, but honestly, I prefer stock speeds. Finally the asus software does not crash, I can monitor everything.

Good luck with your search.
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by inteleagle »

>Worse intel's desktop utilities program kept crashing, and listing my hard drives as bad, so monitoring temps, voltages etc were left to other applications. I also tried the intel desktop control center program which also crashed repeatedly

I also have the problem were neither of these utilities will work.!!!
Dandruff
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Dandruff »

Dandruff wrote:
Dandruff wrote:this night i'll also power off the psu completely. if the mouse works on the next boot then, i'll see this issue as fixed.
mouse works. problem fixed 8)
seems i was too optimistic. 4th power down -> boot => ps/2 mouse not recognised :cry:
[email protected]
Legit User
Legit User

Post by [email protected] »

I've had next to zero problems with my bad axe with vista x64. I did have a few BSOD's relating to the multiplexing screw-up in BIOS releases after 2333... so I went back to 2333 and no probs. I don't mind my HDD LED being on all the time.. really couldn't care less.. I'd rather have all of my cores running on the QX6700.

I've been an Intel mobo user for two years now as they are usually very stable. I can tell this mobo is a bit off right now, but as it all seems to be working I'm not too worried.

-Mike, MXOtech
Geodesic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Geodesic »

hox wrote:I replaced it with an Asus P5WDG2 WS-pro, its about $329 at several sites...Good luck with your search.
Thanks hox for the advice. I finally decided to RMA my D975XBX2 for a P5WDG2 WS Pro after looking the board specs over. It's more expensive, but I want a stable system and I've had good luck with ASUS in the past.

Plus, they're using a Marvell controller so I'll at least try moving my already-populated SATA RAID drives to the new mobo and see if Vista can deal with me swapping out the mobo.

-Bryan
gara56
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by gara56 »

Thanks hox for the advice. I finally decided to RMA my D975XBX2 for a P5WDG2 WS Pro after looking the board specs over. It's more expensive, but I want a stable system and I've had good luck with ASUS in the past.

Plus, they're using a Marvell controller so I'll at least try moving my already-populated SATA RAID drives to the new mobo and see if Vista can deal with me swapping out the mobo.

-Bryan[/quote]

I'm thinking about sending my XBX2 back as well. I went from XBX (no probs) to XBX2 with no fan monitoring (except CPU fan), unstable rear fan operation and Intel Desktop Utilities/Intel Desktop Control Center software not working. Once I went back to the XBX--everything came back up.
Geodesic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Geodesic »

gara56 wrote:I'm thinking about sending my XBX2 back as well. I went from XBX (no probs) to XBX2 with no fan monitoring (except CPU fan), unstable rear fan operation and Intel Desktop Utilities/Intel Desktop Control Center software not working. Once I went back to the XBX--everything came back up.
That bites...and speaking of your fan woes, I noticed that when I looked at the BIOS "hardware monitoring" page (in all the BIOS versions I tried) the case fan RPMs were unstable, jumping between their actual value (660 or so RPM) and RPM vaules as high as 8000, which is obviously just wrong.

It's too late for me (my ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO gets here Wednesday), but I hope for the rest of you Intel gets its s**t together on this board pretty soon.

-Bryan
buffycor
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

XBX2 problems

Post by buffycor »

Hello everybody and thanks for the comments of support and encouragement.

I finally sent my XBX2 back in fury and frustration, replacing it with an Abit AWD9. My QX6700 clearly loves it (as do I) and everything works (without any BIOS flashes) straight out of the box. Software automatically looks for and downloads any bios as you're working and implements its improvements on next boot. I can strongly recommend this board for you frustrated (and frankly very patient) XBX2 users. At the end of the day, if you can calculate Pi to a million figures in 19 seconds, your system's fast. Intel should stick to what they're best at: cpus.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: XBX2 problems

Post by IRQ Conflict »

buffycor wrote:if you can calculate Pi to a million figures in 19 seconds, your system's fast.
Yup, my 6300 does 1M @ 19 seconds. @ 2.8Ghz :) I love me lil chippy!

At stock speeds (1.8 Ghz) it does 1M in 29 seconds. :)
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
METROGROUP
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Intel D975XBX2 problems

Post by METROGROUP »

I agree this board is a huge problem. I just updated the bios and it never booted again. No power failure, just a black screen. Tried the bios recovery... No improvement. Now I get online and see a lot of people with the same issue.
stx
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by stx »

I recently built a new computer using one of these boards. Here is what I recently submitted to Intel's tech support, if anyone here has a solution to the problems I'd like to hear it! :

Nearly all of my video players freeze periodically with the exception of Nero Showtime and my Windows system information is showing that I have only one processor (x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz) when there should actually be 2 since I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2666 MHz"
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

stx wrote:I recently built a new computer using one of these boards. Here is what I recently submitted to Intel's tech support, if anyone here has a solution to the problems I'd like to hear it! :

Nearly all of my video players freeze periodically with the exception of Nero Showtime and my Windows system information is showing that I have only one processor (x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz) when there should actually be 2 since I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2666 MHz"
Welcome!
Check device manager and under computer it should be listed as "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" If not, goto the properties, then driver tab and click "update driver"
Then install the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver from the list and reboot.

If it still sees only one core the issue could be with the BIOS settings. I don't have one of these boards, but I did use/fix one. If I remember correctly there's an option in the BIOS to disable the second CPU core, make sure this isn't set.
stx
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by stx »

It's already ACPI Multiprocessor PC in device manager and as I recall in the bios the multiplex or multicore CPU setting is enabled. I didn't see anything in there about disabling one of the CPUs.