Desktop Utility Service Won't Start ??!

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Desktop Utility Service Won't Start ??!

Post by inteleagle »

The Intel Desktop Utilities service ( Admin Works Agent X8 - AWServ.exe) keeps hanging whiling starting. If you try to open the utility, it delays and then you get a message that "The service program is not active".

D975XBX2 motherboard has the latest BIOS is 2507 (latest). I'm running XpSp2.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall this several times with out any luck.

????!!!!
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by inteleagle »

I just tried the Intel Desktop Control Center and it too just hangs on startup!
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Intel Utilities

Post by MrStumpy »

My experience of late. Desktop utilities and Desktop Control Center did not work for me under Vista. I could not get some of the system and video tweaks to run under Vista either so I went back to XP Pro SP2 and everything is running. I did not reinstall Desktop Utilities but I did install Desktop Control Center and after the last round of Microsoft updates I started having issues with DCC. If I try entering the program several times it will eventually start. Not sure what the bug is but it is a little frustrating.

Steve
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
e6600 - 2.4ghz (L629B369) OC to 3.0
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
2GB (MP) Corsair XMS2-5400 4-4-4-12 DIMM
XFX7950GT video (512m)
2 WD 160GB SATA - Raid 0 (Intel Ctrlr)
1 Segate 320gb SATA - (Marvell Ctrlr)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

It sounds like some service/process it needs is not starting.
A quick google of AdminWorks shows many compliants about it and several "FIX it/REMOVE it" links (can't tell you which are trustworthy :( )
Sounds like it frequently borks something on install that the uninstall doesn't fix.
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by inteleagle »

I know it's the 'Admin Works Agent X8' (AWServ.exe) service that does not start that hangs the Desktop Utililities.

I know the SMBios driver is working because other MB info tools such as Everest report temps ok.
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by inteleagle »

I surprised no one has the fix for this, and that Intel has no released a bug fix.
skane
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by skane »

Found this thread via Google... thanks for the lead. I had same problem, was recieving a message at startup as well.

Turns out ZoneAlarm was blocking connectivity to local host. I turned off the utility and relaunched it, then allowed the connection via ZoneAlarm prompts. If you have a ZA or some other SW firewall, something to check out.
inteleagle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by inteleagle »

THANKS!!!

I turned off my WindowsXP firewall, THEN tried installing the IDU. It worked! I then added both the iptrap.exe and idumain.exe to the firewall exceptions.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

My solution

Post by Sparky »

My solution was to not run CPU-Z BEFORE trying to check mobo status with dekstop utility. Not sure why but EVERY time I checked my FSB speed or memory in CPU-Z, then tried to open desktop utility to check fans and temp, desktop utility would freez my PC. Not sure if this helps or if it's just me or my imagination.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
gara56
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Intel Utilities

Post by gara56 »

MrStumpy wrote:My experience of late. Desktop utilities and Desktop Control Center did not work for me under Vista. I could not get some of the system and video tweaks to run under Vista either so I went back to XP Pro SP2 and everything is running. I did not reinstall Desktop Utilities but I did install Desktop Control Center and after the last round of Microsoft updates I started having issues with DCC. If I try entering the program several times it will eventually start. Not sure what the bug is but it is a little frustrating.

Steve

I had the same problem once I downloaded the latest MS security patches. I uninstalled the IDCC. I think MS did something to the setup. I'm still having problems getting the IDU to see all the fans. I didn't have that problem when I was using the ole XBX. I think it's something with the BIOS.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Fans

Post by Sparky »

Have you tried going in to Desktop Utility and going to Options, Redetect Fans...then reboot?
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
gara56
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by gara56 »

Yes--tried a couple times to have IDU redetect it but no luck. The interesting thing is the my old XBX board finds them all but when I put the XBX2 in the same box, I lost the visibility to all but the CPU fan. I really think it's the board or BIOS. The XBX and XBX2 use different BIOS versions. I have yet to fnd someone with the XBX2 who can tell me that their IDU shows all the fans.
Intel D975XBX V306 BIOS 1479; Intel E6600; 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D; ATI X1900XTX w/512MB; 150GB Raptor 10k RPM SATA HD; Corsair HX620 PSU; Vista Ultimate X32; Logitech MX1000 cordless kb/mouse; Logitech Ultra Vision Quickcam; Lian Li PC-V1200B;Samsung 226BW monitor.
simmons
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by simmons »

Hello

i have XBX2 - and IDU or so shows all the Fans > 0 rpm (CPU, System 1, System 2).

2507 Bios, Vista Business.

do you need more infos ?

==

I am here because i have a lot of IP-Traffic between my PC (192.xxx) and my Zyxel 662 ADSL-Firewall/Router/Modem (239.255.255.250). Something about IGMP. TDImon within Vista tells me that awServ.exe is the sender. Does anybody knows what this meens ? I have BLOCKED such accesses - but i do not know if i should ALLOW - and what the consequences will be.

Thanks for Help