Confused about D975XBX2 Power Supply Connections

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
raduray
Legit User
Legit User

Confused about D975XBX2 Power Supply Connections

Post by raduray »

My old computer is almost five years old and it's time for me to build a new one. New configuration is as follows:
Intel Core2 Duo Desktop Processor E6600 Conroe
Scythe SCNJ-1000P Ninja w/fan (Ebay)
Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2 ATX motherboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
WD Caviar SE16 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Media Reader: Rosewill RCR-100 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT
2 x 1.0 gb Corsair 800 RAM
1 LG GSA-H22N DVD RW 18x
Antec Solo Case
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V 550W Power Supply

So, here's the Power Supply connection issue:

The 24 pin connection from PS to MoB Main Power Connector makes sense.

The 2x4 pin connection from PS to MoB Processor Core Power connector makes sense. The PS has two leads terminated with 2x4 connector, so I have one spare.

The Auxiliary PCI Express Power 1x4 connector has me confused. Some of the documentation states that it's not necessary when using a 24 pin connector instead of 20 pin. Other documentation states that it shoud be used with PCIx Video Cards, which I have. Also, other than the leads with 3 1x4 connectors for IDE Drives, the PS has no other 1x4 connectors. It has a couple of leads terminating in 2x2 connectors. It also has a couple of leads terminating in 2x3 connectors, that according to the PS documentation are PCI Express connectors. So, what do I do? I can leave it unconnected, I can use one of the IDE power connectors, I can find a 2x3 to 1x4 adaptor, or I can find a 2x2 to 1x4 adaptor.

Your assistance would be appreciated.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

the 4-pin molex connector should be used when running more than one PCIe video card as it makes sure the power to the PCIe slots is enough. I have just one video card plugged in on my system and have always used the 4-pin power header with no issues.

If you have an extra 4-pin molex connector it wouldn't hurt to plug it in.. the more power the better ;)
raduray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raduray »

Thanks for the quick response. Just to be sure, your're saying to use one of the spare IDE Molex Power connectors? I've got lots of spares as I only need 2 for IDE drives and the PS has 9.
sushrukh
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by sushrukh »

Yep, if u r not using SLI,then using the molex connector isn't compulsary but it's always good to provide extra power (as Apoptosis says) & your 7600GT wouldn't mind that too but if u buy another card & want SLI,then u'll have to use this molex connector.Otherwise ur system may not boot but i've heard that 7600GTs don't require additional power even in SLI & they get sufficient power from the PCI-E bus itself.Btw, u can't use PCI-E connector from ur PSU for ur GPU coz 7600GTs don't come with any PCI-E connector as their power requirement is not so high.You can use the 4-pin molex connector instead.
raduray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by raduray »

Thanks all. I'm now ready to start assembling.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

good luck and take your time ;)