Legit Little One

will Badaxe2 accept DDR2 8500RAM - it's free

Post by Badaxer »

Hi everyone…a complete NOOB here. I recently purchased a new PC with:
Intel Core2 Duo E6600
Intel D975XBX2 Badaxe2 motherboard
Antec 180 case
Antec 550 WATT PSU.

Currently I do NOT do any overclocking but I am definitely going to do some as I become more knowledgeable. My plans are to learn about overclocking and get the free benefits of it later when I have more information.
I use my PC as a digital photo-processing dedicated rig. No internet or MP3s. I currently have 2 gbs of Corsair Value 667 DDR2 RAM. A most unfortunate tragedy happened 1 month ago to my neighbor’s son and they has 4 1024MB sticks of OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 (SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel Kit) that they have offered to me. I have NO idea if this stuff will work in on my Badaxe2 mobo. I know the mobo supports 533, 667 and 800 MHz RAM. Will I endanger my mobo if I install 4 GBs of this RAM? Will this void my Users Warrantee?
Is this the wrong RAM? My mobo is Crossfire enabled not SLI. Also this is EPP RAM so does this mean it is essentially an “Overclocking for Dummiesâ€
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

easy way to find out is put it in and try and boot, if the mobo doesn't like it it will not boot. If its a faster ratting than your mobo can do then the ram will under clock itself.

I wouldn't mix and match the ram with what you have already though. One or the other, not both.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

i'm preeeetty sure that just because its "SLI certified" doesn't mean its only meant for SLI. im thinking its more along the lines of promoting one brand over the other. if you install it, boot it, and your MoBo takes it, then i see no worries, try it out, but dont mix n match. at least thats what my experience has been. BUT you could always do some research beforehand (highly recommended)

but feel better in knowing that most likely, more knowledgeable persons will soon be replying to your thread! i just happened to be here, so there's my 2 cents!

i'm quite sorry for you and your neighbors loss. :|
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Badaxer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Badaxer »

Thanks for your replies.

I am just wanting to know if it will show any improvement to my processing of large batch RAW files in Photoshop.
Yes the RAM is free but note that I am not a starving student. I could afford to buy this RAM if I wanted it. So if the RAM is of little benefit to me than I am more than happy to let some other family friend have it. I am not just looking to 'score a freebie'. I don't want to go through the hassle of installing RAM and do BIOS configuration as well as depriving someone else of a decent upgrade IF the performance increase is negligible and if it voids any warrantee I have. Remember, I am a noob and asking me to install RAM isn't like asking me to go to the kitchen and fry an egg easyover. That task is still daunting for me - the RAM installing, not the egg frying:)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Intel 975X Chipset fully supports 4GB of memory, although windows XP 32-bit can't use it all. It will not void your warranty. I have 4 1GB sticks of Corsiar PC2-8500 in my Intel D975XBX right now and it works perfectly at 4-4-4-12 timings at ~900MHz, which is where I want it to run at.

As for SLI memory... no big deal -- it's mainly marketing fluff. If you enable EPP in the BIOS it will automatically set the memory, but not sure if it will work on your 8500 kit as it might OC the CPU too far as it will try to default to 1066MHz... You can try it, but if it doesn't work be ready to clear the CMOS. I'm a big fan of manually setting things though ;)
Badaxer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Badaxer »

Thanks for your replies.

I am just wanting to know if it will show any improvement to my processing of large batch RAW files in Photoshop.
Yes the RAM is free but note that I am not a starving student. I could afford to buy this RAM if I wanted it. So if the RAM is of little benefit to me than I am more than happy to let some other family friend have it. I am not just looking to 'score a freebie'. I don't want to go through the hassle of installing RAM and do BIOS configuration as well as depriving someone else of a decent upgrade IF the performance increase is negligible and if it voids any warrantee I have. Remember, I am a noob and asking me to install RAM isn't like asking me to go to the kitchen and fry an egg easyover. That task is still daunting for me ( the RAM installing, not the egg frying:) )
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yes, 4GB will do better than 2GB in photoshop and that is why I went from 2GB to 4GB.

Installing ram is a no brainer... just open the little levers and pop the two modules in (make sure they are lined up with the notch in the socket) and you are done... If performance is worse than before take them out... Just because the memory label says 1066MHz doesn't mean you have to run them there... Just leave it at 800MHz and run them! 4GB is the ****, so don't miss out.

oh and it wont void you warranty... Intel SUPPORTS up to 8GB of memory, so 4GB is nothing. Since you're worried about the speed voiding your warranty run it at 800MHz and you can sleep at night.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

First of all..where can I get some of that free ram? :roll:
Secondly..it will run at PC2-6400 speeds until you're ready to try overclocking. You'll just have to set the speed in your bios.
Badaxer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Badaxer »

thanks for your advice folks!!

I took the RAM and wil install it soon. Any good 'Dummies' guides for overclocking a Conroe E6600 on a Badaxe2?
All the guides I see are for ASUS boards and BIOS or for AMD processors The Badaxe2 is a rather unique board - Intel's first board and BIOS that easily allows tweaking.

I just want to do a fast easy quick moderate overclock. This is a work PC so no reason to push it and add instability and wear and tear.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Here are some links for you Badaxer.

BX2 memory calculator

BIOS Optimization Guide

Also various links to extreme systems forums where you will find everything from basic settings to advanced mods. The trick is to start with small increments and keep your voltages at stock (if possible). I did my small OC (1Ghz) all with stock voltages, smooth as a baby's butt! Also try too keep your mem @ a 1:1 ratio, the mem calc will help you resolve your BIOS settings for that. Good luck!

"Bad Axe" Mod Thread (advanced)

Testing / comparing : Intel D975XBX2 / Asus P5B DX
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit