BadAxe2 won't post

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

BadAxe2 won't post

Post by matsuya »

I updated my bios to 2633. It posted the first time and I was able to load windows vista. I restarted my computer and now it won't post. It beeps 3 times.

I tried everything that suggested here as I had a similar problem with the previous bios update: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=8246

Don't know what to do now.
he46570
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by he46570 »

I had the same issue due to incorrect overclock settings after a BIOS update. Here's what worked for me... switch off your computer from the power source, switch the jumper, wait 5 minutes. Turn on, hopefully it will post in service mode.

Good luck!!!
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

he46570 wrote:I had the same issue due to incorrect overclock settings after a BIOS update. Here's what worked for me... switch off your computer from the power source, switch the jumper, wait 5 minutes. Turn on, hopefully it will post in service mode.

Good luck!!!
Didn't work.
rwolds9
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rwolds9 »

Three beeps is a memory error. Make sure the memory is seated properly. If that doesn't work, try a new memory stick. Good luck.
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

rwolds9 wrote:Three beeps is a memory error. Make sure the memory is seated properly. If that doesn't work, try a new memory stick. Good luck.
I didn't change any hardware. All I did was update the BIOS. This happened before but I was able to get it working by powering off and changing the jumper. I even tried to use one stick of ram.
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

I was able to do the recovery bios setup by removing the jumper. It updated but when I restarted nothing. I tried doing the recovery bios setup again and it won't even update, i just get nothing. I tried previous recovery bios's also.
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Me Too

Post by MrStumpy »

Let me know what happens.... I am DIW (Dead In Water) right now
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
e6600 - 2.4ghz (L629B369) OC to 3.0
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
2GB (MP) Corsair XMS2-5400 4-4-4-12 DIMM
XFX7950GT video (512m)
2 WD 160GB SATA - Raid 0 (Intel Ctrlr)
1 Segate 320gb SATA - (Marvell Ctrlr)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
BlackRebel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by BlackRebel »

memory errors could be related to memory voltage. my xbx2 board defaults to 1.84v. what are the voltage requirements for your memory?
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

BlackRebel wrote:memory errors could be related to memory voltage. my xbx2 board defaults to 1.84v. what are the voltage requirements for your memory?
I've been running my memory at the default setting and didn't have a problem until I updated my BIOS. My voltage requirement is 2.2v I believe.
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

Try this- unplug the power cord and push the power button to discharge the power supply. Then change the jumper to maintenance (don't remove entirely) and power back on.

Sean
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

seanriddle wrote:Try this- unplug the power cord and push the power button to discharge the power supply. Then change the jumper to maintenance (don't remove entirely) and power back on.

Sean
Yeah, I tried that. Last time it worked this time it didn't.
BlueMagic
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by BlueMagic »

Did you try to reload a BIOS using a floppy ?
Maybe you are better off trying to reload the BIOS version that was working.
Intel D975XBX2
Xeon 3060 (E6600) at stock 2.4 GHz
Seagate 500 GB SATA on Intel Matrix black port 0
Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVD on Marvell blue port 5
USB keyboard and mouse
Windows XP/SP2
BIOS 2663, lastest drivers on LAN,Matrix,Marvell
Asus EN8800GTS PCI-E video card
Unobtanium
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Unobtanium »

3 beeps is a Memory issue.
The board will default to 1.84V which is a non-starter for a 2.2V module.
Get into maintenance mode and set the correct memory voltage, I don't think the memory voltage spec is a joke.
Use ISO method to update BIOS.
After flashing the BIOS set to "Optimal Defaults" to make sure all changes take effect, then reboot and then make your tweaks.

Boot into a Memtest86+ CD to test out your system to avoid messing with your OS installation.

A live Linux CD is a good test of your system without jeopardizing corruption issues on your HDD installed OS.

Expect a lot of problems with Vista until service-pack 2, Why be a paying Beta tester for a convicted monopoly?
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

Unobtanium wrote:3 beeps is a Memory issue.
The board will default to 1.84V which is a non-starter for a 2.2V module.
Get into maintenance mode and set the correct memory voltage, I don't think the memory voltage spec is a joke.
Use ISO method to update BIOS.
After flashing the BIOS set to "Optimal Defaults" to make sure all changes take effect, then reboot and then make your tweaks.

Boot into a Memtest86+ CD to test out your system to avoid messing with your OS installation.

A live Linux CD is a good test of your system without jeopardizing corruption issues on your HDD installed OS.

Expect a lot of problems with Vista until service-pack 2, Why be a paying Beta tester for a convicted monopoly?
Please read the thread.
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

Ok, I powered it down and took out the cell battery for a few hours. I started it using the recovery mode and used BIOS 2618. It loaded 2633 for some reason, don't know why. I did it the same thing earlier using the 2633 recovery but it didn't work, but with the 2618 it did. Isn't the 2618 recovery BIOS supposed to load the 2618 BIOS?
MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Are you running

Post by MrStumpy »

I am building an identical system like mine for my son and I have had nothing but problems with this build.

I found out that the memory is bad (Using memtest86) I think when I flashed the bios the bios got hosed because of the memory being bad. Anyway the system currently will not post past either a 94 (Clearing keyboard input buffer) or a BA (Detecting presence of a removable media IDE, CD-ROM detection, etc.) on the screen. I am using the memory out of my system to try and get this unit running. Anyone have a straight forward BIOS boot disk create procedure I can follow. I tried the one posted on the Intel site and the files seem to be too large for the floppy. I will use what ever bios works. Currently it is 2507 I think.
Thanks
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)
matsuya
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by matsuya »

If I used Recovery BIOS 2618 shouldn't it have loaded 2618? It reloaded as 2663.
mojaveron
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mojaveron »

MrStumpy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

I think I solved my problem

Post by MrStumpy »

I moved the system memory to another identical system and ran memtest86. Memory threw 204,800 errors. So the memory is on an RMA back today. I then tried working memory in the new system and got as far as the 94 or EB post and no further, even in maintenance mode. System does not see anything but the keyboard. A friend suggested one of 2 things may have happened. The voltage regulator went taking the system board and the memory or the power supply went taking both. Either way the system board will be RMA'ed today. A new power supply is on order. I will let you know if this cures all.
975xbx2 (Bad Ax2)
Artic Cool Freezer 7Pro
XFX7950GT video (512m)
Antec Sonata 2 (case)