jfh60
Legit User
Legit User

Need BIOS recovery help

Post by jfh60 »

D975XBX2
E6600
2 gig OCZ

I was going to try a minor O/C so I moved the jumper and disabled watchdog. I then moved the FSB to 290 (2.61) and tried to boot. I promptly received a black screen. I then removed the jumper and tried to recover using a formatted disk with just the *.bio file as Intel suggests. The disk was read but I heard no beeps. I put the jumper back on and tried to boot with no luck. I tried this several times. Any help appreciated.

I should of bought the ASUS instead of the Intel. I have been using an O/C P4C800-E for years without issue.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

It takes awhile using the BIOS recovery flash and you won't see anything on the screen while it's running.

The first step when recovering from a bad overclock on thid board (the reason was probably your RAM being too overclocked with the FSB change) is to jumper pins 2 & 3 (where you disabled watchdog) and reset the FSB.

I would try:

1- Unplug the system, pull the CMOS battery for a few minutes, re-insert and plug back in.
2- Try to boot in BIOS maintenance mode (pins 2&3 jumpered. If that doesn't work then...
3- Pull the jumper and try to re-flash the BIOS from floppy, walk away and give it plenty of time to do it's thing. I haven't timed it but it can take a while and seeing nothing on the screen makes one impatient (the old "a watched pot never boils" thing) :)
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
jfh60
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jfh60 »

Thanks for the suggestions. The only concern I have is the Cmos battery. I looked at the manual and it shows it being removed with a flat head screwdriver. When I look down on mine it looks as if there is some type of retaining clip on the left side. How should I go about removing it.

Also the manual says that you should hear beeping sounds when the BIOS has suceesfully updated. Since I have had my board I have only heard beeping sounds once and that occured yesterday after trying to update the BIOS and rebooting. The 3 beeps indicated a memory error. I have never had a problem with memory.
BlackRebel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by BlackRebel »

squeezing the clip and the plastic housing together will lift the battery slightly so you can pull it out.

if the recovery bios did'nt work for you yet it probably won't. don't waste
any time, call intel, 1-800 support number to oregon found on thier site. i think you punched in a series of values that triggered the self destruct command, like you, i should have bought asus.
jfh60
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jfh60 »

What is the toll free Intel tecnical support number? I can't find it on thier site.
BlackRebel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by BlackRebel »

hmmmmm, can't find it myself now. it was just a week ago i called.
BlackRebel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by BlackRebel »

ok, maybe it was'nt toll free. 916-377-7000
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

The three beeps you heard were probably caused by the RAM being overclocked.

The reason I recommended the above steps is that pulling the CMOS battery should clear the overclocked values. You were trying to flash the BIOS with an overclocked system which is probably why it did not work.

If that was the case OR you stopped the process before it completed then the BIOS is in an unknown state.

While the above steps might not work, the 15-20 minutes it will take are cheaper than a long distance call to have a tech run you through the same steps IMHO.

When you get it back up and running (or get a new BIOS chip or board :) ) the steps for overclocking are to lower the RAM speed to 667 THEN start pushing the FSB, the E6600 will take the overclock better than the RAM. I am happily running at 3.2G on my 6600 with my RAM set to 667 (actual speed is 900) and all voltages default.

While playing with overclocking, if you get the three dreaded beeps you DO NOT need to re-flash the BIOS. simply jumper pins 2&3 instead of pulling the jumper and you will be in "maintenance mode" (where you went to disable watchdog) and you can change the settings back from there. The only time you should need to re-flash the BIOS is if you get some kind of failure while updating the BIOS in the normal ways (power dies or something).
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
jfh60
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jfh60 »

I was able to get the system running again by moving the jumper to pins 2 and 3. I entered maintenance and enabled watchdog and set the FSB back to automatic. I want to thank those that replied.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

jfh60 wrote:I was able to get the system running again by moving the jumper to pins 2 and 3. I entered maintenance and enabled watchdog and set the FSB back to automatic. I want to thank those that replied.
Coolness.... :drinkers:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit