D975XBX2 Boot Failure

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
PJ
Legit User
Legit User

D975XBX2 Boot Failure

Post by PJ »

My D975XBX2 system periodically fails to boot, requiring a cold reset followed by 'Start Windows Normally.' Once windows restarts my system starts 'Verifying and Reparing' the raid drives. This has happened with both Windows XP S2 and Windows Vista Ultimate, RAID 0, 1, and 5 configurations and several different BIOS updates (currently 2674). The 'Verifying and Repair' process usually finds a 1 or 2 'Verification Errors.' Disabling the Hard Drive Write Cache and the Volume Write-Back Cache do not solve the problem.
  • Chassis Coolermaster Centurian 5
    Motherboard Intel D975XBX2 w/ 2674 BIOS
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Memory 2GB Crucial DDR2-533
    Hard Drive 3-320GB Seagate Barracuda ES - RAID 5
    CD/DVD Burner Plextor 760A
    Floppy Drive Sony MPF-920
    Graphics Card Matrox P650 PCIe
    Power Supply PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 ASL
Any suggestions about how to solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: D975XBX2 Boot Failure

Post by mickrussom »

PJ wrote:My D975XBX2 system periodically fails to boot, requiring a cold reset followed by 'Start Windows Normally.' Once windows restarts my system starts 'Verifying and Reparing' the raid drives. This has happened with both Windows XP S2 and Windows Vista Ultimate, RAID 0, 1, and 5 configurations and several different BIOS updates (currently 2674). The 'Verifying and Repair' process usually finds a 1 or 2 'Verification Errors.' Disabling the Hard Drive Write Cache and the Volume Write-Back Cache do not solve the problem.
  • Chassis Coolermaster Centurian 5
    Motherboard Intel D975XBX2 w/ 2674 BIOS
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Memory 2GB Crucial DDR2-533
    Hard Drive 3-320GB Seagate Barracuda ES - RAID 5
    CD/DVD Burner Plextor 760A
    Floppy Drive Sony MPF-920
    Graphics Card Matrox P650 PCIe
    Power Supply PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 ASL
Any suggestions about how to solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Are you using the marvell or the ICH7R SATA ports?
PJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by PJ »

I'm using the ICH7R SATA ports with the Intel 6.2.1.1002 RAID drivers.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

PJ wrote:I'm using the ICH7R SATA ports with the Intel 6.2.1.1002 RAID drivers.
Ugh. I was thinking the marvell nasty ports were the ones giving problems.

There seems to be a version 7 of the intel raid matrix drivers.

Also, did you floppy install or use nlite to integrate the RAID/AHCI drivers into the install CD, and is your install CD slipstreamed up to SP2?
PJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by PJ »

I used the floppy install in both XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate.

The install in Vista Ultimate was a bit problematic, but that is another story. I could not get Vista Ultimate to install when I began with 2 RAID volumes. I needed to remove the drives for the second RAID volume, install the OS then install the second RAID volume.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

PJ wrote:I used the floppy install in both XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate.

The install in Vista Ultimate was a bit problematic, but that is another story. I could not get Vista Ultimate to install when I began with 2 RAID volumes. I needed to remove the drives for the second RAID volume, install the OS then install the second RAID volume.
I've had nlite alleviate a lot of issues and it eliminated the floppy stuff and gets you a nice DVD/CD that is 100% "stock" but you add these F6 drivers.

I installed in AHCI mode and didn't need a driver, I find it surprising that Vista needs a driver for the ICH7R in raid mode.

At this point, Im waiting to try a 3ware sas for Real Hardware RAID, because I totally distrust this bios and fake-raid, I wish Vista did mirroring in software so I wouldnt need extra raid.

People here have not been able to get PCIE scsi, sas, sas raid, LSI, areca or promise cards to work in this system due to yellow-bang issues.

Its a pickle. The real solution would be for intel, asus and other high volume vendors who sell high end boards to enthusiasts to simply buy or always put a real hardware raid asic on the board instead of this fraid stuff.

I would always do what you did, build one raid volume to install on and then add more later. This new EFI/bcdedit/no-more-boot.ini booting system has is byzantine, and is rife with issues.