Intel Socket question.

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Intel Socket question.

Post by inko1nsiderate »

Well I am planning on upgrading, but not for a few months, and I am finally switching to intel.

My largest complaint with AMD is that they are always changing their socket type, but if I make this next upgrade I want to make sure I have some upgrading room with the Intel Socket type.

Is there any reason to think Intel will change what socket they use in the next year or so? IE are there some sort of technical limits to the socket that will be an issue soon?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Socket question.

Post by dicecca112 »

Well the socket doesn't change its the VRMs on the board or the chipset change that usually renders your board useless for the next generation. Its part of the game.
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

dicecca112 wrote:Well the socket doesn't change its the VRMs on the board or the chipset change that usually renders your board useless for the next generation. Its part of the game.
Yeah... always been the same socket, but higher FSBs and changing voltage requirements have caused problems on some older boards, if not prevented users from upgrading processors on them altogether.

Intel is actually changing the socket though within a year from now. Nehalem cannot use the LGA775 socket, so Intel will be launching new ones with their new processors...
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Yeah, that nasty ole onboard mem controler is going to change everything for Intel whenever they hit the streets........... :mrgreen:
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

It should be quite sweet when Intel moves to an onboard memory controller.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

Kougar wrote:
dicecca112 wrote:Well the socket doesn't change its the VRMs on the board or the chipset change that usually renders your board useless for the next generation. Its part of the game.
Yeah... always been the same socket, but higher FSBs and changing voltage requirements have caused problems on some older boards, if not prevented users from upgrading processors on them altogether.

Intel is actually changing the socket though within a year from now. Nehalem cannot use the LGA775 socket, so Intel will be launching new ones with their new processors...
Thanks for the heads up.

I was just hoping on getting some sort of lifetime from my motherboard instead having to replace it every time I get a new cpu. It worked for AMD for a while until that 754 socket came out, and was almost immediately replaced by the 939.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Any idea when this new socket is coming out? I've been thinking of going to Intel as well but if they're soon to upgrade their socket I'll wait, I've got a great mobo as it is. I've also been thinking of a move up to the AMD 6400+ but if the new Intel socket is coming out soon, I'll just save up my money and wait for that. Any advice?
ij70
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ij70 »

Alathald wrote:Any idea when this new socket is coming out? I've been thinking of going to Intel as well but if they're soon to upgrade their socket I'll wait, I've got a great mobo as it is. I've also been thinking of a move up to the AMD 6400+ but if the new Intel socket is coming out soon, I'll just save up my money and wait for that. Any advice?
See this thread. At least one of the Roadmap pictures has the socket types.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about12664.html
Life is short and dinnertime is chancy
Eat desert first!
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Rough estimates were around the last quarter of this year... personally considering how "timely" the Penryn launch has been, a safe bet that I'm taking is next January/February at the latest. By then hard products should be out, even if they paper launch again as they did with Penrryn.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I recently made the move back to Intel and I don't regret it for a second! By the time the new sockets go live, I will be ready to build yet another Intel system...complete with a dual Nvidia GPU. 8)

It would take some major, major improvements on AMD's part to lure me back. Judging from what I've seen lately, thats not very likely to happen.