2.8C or 2.8E - 512k & 1M onboard cache - ???

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Alligator4480
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

2.8C or 2.8E - 512k & 1M onboard cache - ???

Post by Alligator4480 »

Hi there,

I read Jason`s review on the new P4 2.8E (thanks Jason), however, I was interested in comments on the onboard 1M cache.

I`m wondering 2 things? The new "E" series is $40 (canadian) more than the "c" series. Is it worth it ?

and, can someone explain the relationship between the "onboard" cache and regular RAM. In otherwords, if I up my RAM from 512 to 1G, does that off-set the difference between the 512k and now 1M. Or.... am I way out on my thinking..... :?:

Thanks in advance,
Allen
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Cache is on the processor. Architecturally, it works right along with the CPU registries for storing data as the CPU is using it.

RAM is what the CPU accesses to read data it needs to store in the cache as its using it.

So basically, the more RAM you have, the more information your CPU has access too without having to load it from the hard drive first.

The more cache you have, the faster your cpu can run a task without having to load it from RAM first.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Alligator4480
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Alligator4480 »

thanks for the response....

I found the answer to my question over at AnandTech, and I thought I would share it.

"...If you’re looking for nothing more than a purchasing decision let’s put it simply: if you’re not an overclocker, do not buy any Prescott where there is an equivalently clocked Northwood available. This means that the 2.80E, 3.00E, 3.20E are all off-limits, you will end up with a CPU that is no faster than a Northwood and in most cases slower." - Author: Anand Lal Shimpi & Derek Wilson.

That makes my decision sooooo much easier, (whether to buy the "C" or"E" series)

Thanks.
Allen
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

ok :). Just to make sure you know, the reason for the performance difference is not directly related to the amount of cache. In fact, the reason the prescott performs even as well as it does is because of the more cache onboard than the Northwood. Otherwise it would be much slower because of the change in process in which the processor is made... which in turn will allow Intel to ramp up the core speed on future chips.

Complicated ain't it! :P
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Paq
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Paq »

sooo
say you're buying an Abit IC7 mobo, 512 MB of kingston ram, sata hd, ATI 9800 pro and you're looking at cases and the possibility of overclocking, but maybe not, depends on stability...is the extra 512 KB of cache worthwhile? or is that just Intel's way of making the way for faster future chips, or will this one be faster or what's the deal.

Thanks
Chris
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

paq,

Think of it this way...

The Prescott series has a longer pipeline....

Longer Pipelines = Slower Performance at initial clock speeds

To help counter the longer pipelines Intel added extra cache to compensate for the longer pipelines. More cache is better to have as it helps performance, but in this situation it was needed to help the Prescott perform at the same level as current "C" chips.
Paq
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Paq »

that's what i was thinking...

so basically, stock for stock, the C will be faster than the E, but in OC'd applications, the E will perform better...sound about right?

So...probably best to just save the money right now?

Also, i was thinking of incompatibilities with the motherboard as i don't know which supports what anymore...

this used to be much easier..
Chris
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It really was easier in the past... LOL

But, it seems that your knowledge is better than most others right now!

Saving money right now would be a wise idea if your rig is already a modern P4. With all the new hardware coming out in Q2 it should be good times for all. Start saving now though, DDR2 and PCI-X is looking pricey.
Paq
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Paq »

See..that's the problem...there is always something better and that's great. I'm not wanting "Top of the line" stuff, i am just confused when something totally new comes out and is pretty close in price, like hte 2.8c and 2.8e. My main concern is to run photoshop very very quickly and with incredible stability. On top of that, games, music, etc, is a next priority. After looking around, a piv 2.8 seems to be best compromise between speed and stability and price, so i've been looking around at what supports HT with the 800 fsb and ddr400 ram, and an SATA harddrive in the 80 gb range with at least an option for another HD. My photofiles are between 36 and 400 MB, so they take up a good bit of HD space and saving to CD/DVD isn't the best option for files you work with that often.. I'll also be going up to a gig of ram when the budget allows.

So far, it seems i've come to this conclusion, lemme know if you see any problems. Most parts will be bought throuhg newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com, any other suggestions will be readily accepted.

1. Piv 2.8C 800 fsb, HT processor. priced about $180 the P2.8e is about $185...so i am torn there...
2. Abit IC7 Mobo, seems to be stable, etc, and at $100 is a good value, unless someone can suggest otherwise
3. 512 kingston pc3200 ram by way of 2 256 chips (is this how i would buy them, i havne't been to a real store yet to see how they are sold :))
4. Seagate or Western Digital 80GB sata with 8 mb cache hd for a bit less than $100
5. Case...i really have no idea yet, got any suggestions
6. Cdrw, memorex or sony, about $50
7. radeon 9200 or 9600, not sure, depends on what price/what sale i can find, honestly...unless there is an inexpensive alternative
missing anything? I have monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc

missing anythign major? i'm thinking about 400-450 watt psu, probably integrated with the case, depends...

thanks for any help
Chris
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

My main concern is to run photoshop very very quickly and with incredible stability.
2 x 256mb of memory is not enough then. Go a gig. You'll end up thanking yourself later when you are doing a big project!

Just grab a 2.8C it should be faster for photoshop right now!
Paq
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Paq »

Chris
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kingston Value Kit

Found the kit for $170 at newegg... not a bad price
Paq
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Paq »

That would probably put me overbudget right now, but i wil be able to upgrade to that in a month or two. Thanks for the link
Chris