processor upgrade

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
dragunkeeper
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

processor upgrade

Post by dragunkeeper »

I have looked EVERYWHERE--lenovo, ibm sites, intel--can't find answer I need. My wife has an IBM / LENOVO THINKPAD r40. MODEL 2722-9BM. It currently has a Pentium M processor 1.4 ghz. Socket 479 with a FSB 400mhz. I have identified several Celeron M or Pentium M processor which might work at a great price---but I need to know in advance (of course) EXACTLY which processors are compatible with the chipsets.... i855GM and ICH4-M.

Could any of you let me know which ones would work, or where to find a processor compatibility chart? I'd love to move up to the 2.4 but want to make sure it's compatible. Intel vaguely states which ones COULD work---but again---only vaguely.

Appreciate any help.....

Also--saw a post on here suggesting someone overclock their dell desktop using ClockGen,,,,I was under the impression Dell's CANNOT be overclocked.... any input on that?

Thanks again
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: processor upgrade

Post by dkarko »

Even if you find a list of all the supported processors for your chipset, you can't know if all fo them will work. The problem is that bios updates are needed to support later processors. I was in the same witchhunt, looking to update my laptop that has a willamette p4 (yaiks) at 1.7. Ok the chipset supports all P4 up to Northwood with 533bus and without HT. But, the BIOS is old and there is no way of knowing what it really supports. One way would be to check the bios release date and the processor you want release date, but again you can't be sure it will work. Its safer to aim for a processor that was introduced at the same period with the one you have.

From the list here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors
It seems you can safely upgrade up to Pentium M 1.6 (dothan if you have dothan, or banias if you have banias)

What was the release date of the last BIOS? Also check if there is any bios info.
Then what you can do is use special tools to see inside your bios or inside a downloaded bios image which processors are supported. This sould be easy, but i don't remember the site with the tutorials+programs. You can even insert microcode from another similar bios with newer processor support and it could work, but it can't be easy :p.
"Παν ΜέτÏ