Intel: Use our CPU (not their GPU) for games

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel: Use our CPU (not their GPU) for games

Post by Apoptosis »

I thought this is an interesting read:
Intel is back, pitching its processors for gaming graphics.

The chipmaker will attempt to promote its silicon for sophisticated game effects at the upcoming Game Developers Conference in March, as it strives to make a case for quad-core processors in lieu of graphics chips from Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices.

The pitch goes like this: "Learn how to easily add real-time 3D smoke, fog and other fluid simulations to your game without using up the GPU." That's according to an Intel Web page entitled Intel at Game Developers Conference. (The CPU is the central processing unit, or main brains of a computer; GPU stands for graphics processing unit.)
source
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel: Use our CPU (not their GPU) for games

Post by SAMSAMHA »

this is a loosing battle for intel. we all know that gpu makes slightly more diff in term of games. I think until intel's laranbee coming out, we won't see intel making a big impact against gpu makers. Though, we dont' know how the larnabee will perform, it will at leat be possible for intel to somewhat offering a more comparable performance against the nvidia and ati's onboard video. as to if it can overtake the discreet gpu, i doubt it.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel: Use our CPU (not their GPU) for games

Post by stev »

Why then does a GPU have more number crunching capacity for things like F@H vs. just a CPU?

Intel missed the stats page on this.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights