478 or 775?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
jay85
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

478 or 775?

Post by jay85 »

Hey im a newbie here
im looking to build a pc and whilst looking at motherboards/processers i got confused with P4 478 and P4 775. can someone just break it down for me so i know what the difference is.
I want the best in my PC 8)

thanx
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

skt 478 == old p4 socket
lga 775 == new p4 socket
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 478 or 775?

Post by kenc51 »

jay85 wrote:Hey im a newbie here
im looking to build a pc and whilst looking at motherboards/processers i got confused with P4 478 and P4 775. can someone just break it down for me so i know what the difference is.
I want the best in my PC 8)

thanx
Welcome to LR

478 -- upto 3.4ghz (+ first extreme edition)
775 -- all others

775 use prescott core p4's (bit hot)
478 use both northwood and prescott cores (nothwood run a little cooler but are harder to get now)

If you are going intel - 775 would be better choice
with 775 - you need ddr2 for good performance (mayby more expensive)
Also only the 955x chipset supports dual core
I don't want to start a amd versus intel thing (i use 478)

But amd64 seems the way to go @ the moment
most new sockett 939 boards for amd64 will support the new dual core cpu with a bios update (futrue proof)
Check LR's review on http://legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=210
This will show performance of intel dual core
Amd dual core run alot cooler and are generally considered the better cpu (compaired to intels offering), Intel use ALOT more power
Remember to get a good quality psu for intel (any system for that matter)

What is you buget?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Socket 775 is the way of the future and is already an "elder" on the market with several Intel chipsets to pick from..

Intel 875, 915, 925, 925XE, 945, 955X chipsets can be found using an LGA 775 socket for the processor. As you can tell LGA 775 is available on many chipsets and should be the only option on your quest for a new mobo.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

hmm, where to start....socketT (LGA775) has a much much larger L2 cache (1 to 2 MB as compared to 512K, so it can take in more per cycle) and it's beginning to come down in price from where it started, as I've seen it, and personally, while I really like the Northwood core for its stability, the newer Prescott is showing to be promising (comparing a 2.8 Northwood to a 3.0 Prescott, the Prescott screams come to find out by having built one of those systems)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

another point to consider is that while you can get a bargain, if not a steal on a socket 478.... the newer 775s are a 3rd generation Prescott. The 5XX series were nothing real special, but the 6XX series supports 64 bit, includes improved thermal properties such as EIST, and as Killswitch pointed out, has more cache without splurging for the high end EEs. You might also want to consider the new Pentium D 820, while it doesn't include Hyper Threading, it is Dual Core, and is a really sweet processor when you consider it is running about $250 right now.