Intel talks of future CPU plans

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel talks of future CPU plans

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel has redrawn its product plans for 2005, shelving two chips and announcing vague plans about the processors that will come out next year.

The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker confirmed that it will shelve Tejas, a version of the Pentium 4 due out later this year, and Jayhawk, a similar Xeon chip for servers that had been slated for 2005.

In their place, Intel will come out with dual-core chips for desktops in 2005 and notebooks in 2005 or 2006, said an Intel representative. Earlier, Intel had indicated that dual-core chips for these markets might not appear until 2006 or later.

Dual-core chips can provide far better performance than traditional single-core chips. Intel's plans, however, appear to be quite vague at the moment. The representative could not identify code names for the new products. It is also unclear whether the chips will be made using the 90-nanometer manufacturing process or the newer 65-nanometer process.
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5207837 ... g=nefd.top

Looks like the Intel guys are busy with a bunch of changes!
roberdjp
Legit User
Legit User

Post by roberdjp »

I have been reading about this for the last day or two, and I'm curious how AMD is going to deal with this news. What this looks like to me is a great short-term opportunity and a lot of long-term danger.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Very short term relief for AMD.
dropping Tejas (which was running way too hot) and pushing ahead with multicores is a big step forward.
Every computer with 2 way SMP (and probably 4 way using HT) at the same price as current (high end) desktops
roberdjp
Legit User
Legit User

Post by roberdjp »

Yeah, I know. If they're talking about shipping Dual Core Pentium-Ms for the Desktop in a year or so, then that will be some fairly stiff competition. :)

AMD is supposed to be rolling out Dual-Core Opterons sometime in the relatively near future, though, aren't they? Seems like I read that somewhere recently. If that's the case, it's not difficult to assume that a dual core Athlon 64 (or next gen solution?) can't be that far away.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I heard about this last week, but now more news is leaking out on the Whitefield!
Whitefield is a low-power multicore Xeon processer that places four mobile Banias cores around a shared Level 2 cache. The chip will arrive sooner than we expected last week; our sources say 2006. This chimes with predictions made by Intel India's President Ketan Sampat, who said customers could expect a new Xeon out of India by 2005 or 2006 on a 65 nanometer process.
A very interesting read here

PLUS here is more at X-BIT this week on it:
Precise details about Intel’s Whitefield chip are absent at the moment, just like any details of the architecture. But keeping in mind that Intel tends to use the same micro-architecture for its processors in the course of 4 to 6 years from the initial release, it is pretty clear that the Whitefield may be a father for a lineup of microprocessors designed for servers and workstations and coming out in 2008 – 2013 years.
A number of years off, but some good info
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

This is some pretty big news for Intel. Maybe they had enough Prescotts burned up to know that they needed to go this route instead.. hehe
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

I think this is a VERY positive step for intel, dual core is the way for the future and they are taking a page out of AMD's book, by having more Instructions Per Clock (IPC's to the l33t) and less Ghz maddness!

Pentium M is a monster chip... lets see it scale well as well....