Problem to Overclock Core i7 920

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
zeebaluch
Legit User
Legit User

Problem to Overclock Core i7 920

Post by zeebaluch »

Hey hello everyone!!! Well I'm facing issues to overclock my Core i7 920 Processor even though I've world's best Motherboard "Asus Rampage II x58 & Corsair Dominator 1600 6GB DDR3" but I don't know why I'm having issues to overclock my 920 even on 3.2Ghz...! My system shuts down while testing or Benchmarking, Please guide me how to overclock my 920 to its extreme level. My system specs are below...
  • Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz Rev.D0 Bloomfield
    Asus Rampage II Extreme x58 Motherboard
    Corsair Dominator 1600 2x3 6GB DDR3
    CoolerMaster 750W Real Power SLI
    XFX Geforce 260 Black Edition
    Intel Stock Cooling Heatsink
    Seagate 1TB HDD 32MB Cache SATA-II
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Problem to Overclock Core i7 920

Post by InspectahACE »

are you monitoring the temps?..from your post, the only thing that would limit your OC is the stock cooler... I'm at 3.8 ghz rock solid. same board..but I'm also not using the stock cooler. I remember when i OC'd to 3.2 on the stock cooler before I got the V10, it was rather hot to even continue..
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Could be temps, what is your Host clock frequency and CPU voltage set to? To little and you wont be stable, too much and you run WAY hot and its not stable.

I can run at 3.5Ghz on the stock cooler, its REAL hot, but it runs.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
zeebaluch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zeebaluch »

I recorded highest temp on my CPU is around 58c - 61c, I think that is real fine and it should run at 3.2Ghz and I set the CPU Voltage on 1.3v. I think the temps are normal may be I misconfiguration the AI Tuner setting or cpu power settings... InspectahACE can you copy and paste your mobo configuration here, so that I can apply your setting with my system.. Who knows it may work....!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

those temps are fine..you might be able to go a tad higher on the cpu but i wouldn't push it. Especially if you live in desert climate like I do. I keep the voltages running on auto. hasn't done me any problems. plus i don't have to guess what is good or not. some might agree or disagree with that, but it's worked for me.keep in mind that the ram speed options will change when you fiddle with the Multi(Ratio) and the BCLK.

i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
zeebaluch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zeebaluch »

Dear InspectahACE, Well I think the problem was with the Intel's Stock Cooler...! Today I have bought CoolerMaster V8 and now I'm able to overclock my CPU at 3.6Ghz with very ease and the Maximum temp I recorded is 53c. One more question InspectahACE I saw your posted pictures in your reply, one thing makes me confuse is that you have disable Turbo mode and your EPU Phase on "Full Phase" but when I disable my Turbo mode then the EPU Phase option gets hidden.. What is the issue??? Even I have installed latest BIOS, Can you guide me on this...?? One more thing should I set my V8 Cooler FAN on Highest level i.e 1800/RPM or should I set lowest level i.e 800RPM?
Thanks in advance buddy
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Honestly all I did was leave the default settings and set the overclock. ..Personally I would set the v8 as high as you can tolerate the sound since you're overclocking. I'm spoiled by the V10's PWM fans that automatically do their thing so I don't mess with all that.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The Turbo option is the BIOS is what is giving you the small overclock. I'd have to look at the BIOS updates to see what they changed that the Turbo OC is not at 2.9 anymore.

As for the temps, your best to leave the Turbo and Hyper Threading BIOS options off until you can get an after market cooler. Those two options off will dramatically drop the CPU temps. At the 75-80C mark its throttling itself. Thats why your getting the performance drop.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson