Pick-A-Proc

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
bhelms
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Pick-A-Proc

Post by bhelms »

A friend of mine is wanting to build a computer and asked me for help. I haven't really been keeping up with hardware since I built my last comp about a year ago.

We basically know everything to put in it except which processor. He is going to be using this computer for gaming and casual use. Meaning, he will either be in a game, or just browsing the net.

I just blindly suggested i7 because its new and he wants to keep the computer for a while. However, i7 may be out of his budget. I then suggested i5, but I really know nothing of it. Then he even asked about getting a C2D or C2Q in order to save money by getting DD2.

I guess my main question is.... Is it really worth it for him to put out the extra money for a i7/i5? And if not.... Quad or dual? (I hate that question.... I spent forever deciding for myself. This is also a reason for me suggesting i7/i5 so I could avoid him getting me to figure out whether to put a dual or a quad in :P )
I would think if he isn't gonna go for an i7/i5 then he should just get a good fast C2Q, but I'd like some opinions.

EVGA 750i FTW // E8500 // EVGA GTX260 core216 OC // 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz // 150gb WD Raptor // Corsair TX 750w // Antec 1200
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Pick-A-Proc

Post by XstollieX »

Right now ddr2 isn't much cheaper than ddr3. So that shouldn't be a factor for him. The I5's are a good buy right now. I would def buy a socket 1156 or a 1366. I don't know how much longer the 775's are going to be around. With the new sockets it will be easier to upgrade the proc if it becomes dated. Another thing to consider is AMD. The 965 is a beast of a chip with some serious headroom for overclocking. Not sure if your buddy is dead set on Intel though. What kind of budget is your buddy looking at?
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

DDR2 prices have gone through the roof in the past few months, so that eliminates that factor. I recommend going with i5. I think socket 775 will be around for a while yet, but if you want to stay somewhat current and be able to upgrade on a budget, then i5 may be the ticket for you.
bhelms
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bhelms »

Ok thanks for the info on DDR2.

I think he said around $800. And yeah, it's not him being dead set on Intel, its more me haha. He is extremely knew to computer hardware so its not like he has any preferences.

And yeah, that was my original justification for getting i7. I told him he would be able to upgrade easier in the future probably. However I didn't know how true that statement was since, as I said, I haven't been keeping up.
EVGA 750i FTW // E8500 // EVGA GTX260 core216 OC // 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz // 150gb WD Raptor // Corsair TX 750w // Antec 1200