i7 920 and GTX295 in the same loop (Water Cooling)

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

i7 920 and GTX295 in the same loop (Water Cooling)

Post by Calamar »

I know is not a "good idea" but it is viable?

I recently bought a cooper block for my dual pcb evga gtx 295, new at a very good price. And I was wondering if someone else has CPU-GPU-one-loop configuration. Or has had.

Specs:
Rampage II extreme (watercooled)
i7 920 C (watercooled) (35º/68º)
Pump: Laing D5 Swiftech MCP655
Radator: Black Ice GTX 360 (g2) + 3x Noctua NF-P12

I would like to add the GTX to the loop, but I don't know if its wise.. also I was thinking into add a single fan radiator after the chipset and before the GPU (not to make an independent loop). Would be viable? I was looking for some references.

Why there isn't an overclocking forum??
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: i7 920 and GTX295 in the same loop (Water Cooling)

Post by DMB2000uk »

Reading carefully, it's not 'just' a 920 that's in the loop is it, you've got the motherboard cooled on the same loop?

It's definitely not a good idea to be throwing that many restrictions into one loop (let alone the massive additional heat the GTX295 would add).

By the looks of it, you're already nearing radiator capacity if your i7 is running at nearly 70oC, so adding another 300W+ to the loop isn't going to work great.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Ya, I totally agree with Dan. But reading into your post, I think you already knew the answer. :mrgreen:
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

This is my final solution. And worked pretty good! CPU temps even dropped. 26ºC ambient: 39º idle (higher), 58º load. @4,1Ghz. You always have very low idle temps, in WC, I wonder how you do it!
Of course GPU temperatures dropped ;).

This is the first time I use the main radiator in horizontal position + circuit without reservoir (there's a purge T in pump's inlet). I recommend both over vertical radiator and reservoir (used to be my configuration in all my other PCs).
Is soooo wonderful to have a quiet GTX295 :supz: All high end GPU should come with a WC radiator as option.

All wiring is provisional, as you can see the set squares were supporting the temporary reservoir to purge the circuit.

As I said before take into account this PC-77A case if you like ABS Tigas Super Full Tower Chassis (http://forums.legitreviews.com/about23281.html). the LianLi is the original version, not the copy ;)
Also I can't recommend Corsair HX1000W psu. Maybe the quality of the current and its control "may" *ejem* be good. But the cables and accessories are crap, short, unbalanced and of the worst materials I've ever seen.