Intel Smoke-engine demo - Windows Vista versus 7

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel Smoke-engine demo - Windows Vista versus 7

Post by Apoptosis »

See what a difference the new Windows 7 kernel makes compared to Windows Vista. The windows 7 kernel is optimized for use with Intel core microarchitecture not only does it perform faster it also allows you to put a few cores to sleep while maintaining peak performance.

Is it just me or is the Windows 7 system stuttering?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Smoke-engine demo - Windows Vista versus 7

Post by smack323 »

yeah it is for sure. doesnt seem like a very good demo with that happening.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

yeah its stuttering.... a lot.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Did you listen to what he said though? Starting at 1:45: "the demo tries to maintain the same frame rate by dropping horses." If you look at the # of horses (top left screen), at 2:01 you see a difference of about 756@25fps vs 852@30fps horses and at 2:22 a difference of 683@27fps vs 895@30fps (Vista and Win7 respectively). Not only that, but look at threads 3 & 4 (and partly threads 2 and 5) in Win7's task manager before the demo starts (0:52 through 1:19 and at 2:37). Something's clearly running in the background taking up more resources. Compare it to the task manager shots of Vista. At 3:03 after the demo, Win7's task manager is flat like Vista's.
skier

Post by skier »

in 7 the CPU usage keeps spiking while it lags momentarily, vista is more consistent, but lags a couple times too

pretty bad demo if you ask me :roll:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

skier wrote:in 7 the CPU usage keeps spiking while it lags momentarily, vista is more consistent, but lags a couple times too

pretty bad demo if you ask me :roll:
But Win7 is even spiking before the demo. I wonder if they had some A/V scanner going or whatever.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Why would Intel post this... beyond me
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Apoptosis wrote:Why would Intel post this... beyond me
I'm stumped as well
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Is Intel still trying to push the CPU as a major player in graphics? I remember they also had a mass particles demo perhaps a year before. Either way, they're fighting an uphill battle, especially with things like DirectCompute, OpenCL, and CUDA. While smooth multithreading on CPU is nice, I don't think many applications will use the CPU in such a manner anyway, instead opting to use the GPU.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

FAIL
Joe
Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

Yeah it stutters and that was not a smart thing in the PR sense, but it is interesting to learn MS tweaked the kernel of w7 for intel's hyperthreading, especially in light of the suits running and won against intel, like the thing about their compiler optimizations not being used at all when an AMD CPU is used with their compiler for instance (although that one was settled with intel agreeing to play more fair).

I like the idea that MS adopts to modern hardware a bit, and uses the advantages of modern CPU',s but they better have done the same for AMD else they are in deep trouble.
skier

Post by skier »

Wwhat wrote:I like the idea that MS adopts to modern hardware a bit, and uses the advantages of modern CPU',s but they better have done the same for AMD else they are in deep trouble.
well considering they said it was set for n threads, it only mentions the i7 because it has more threads than logical cores, which does not affect AMD CPUs as they dont have more threads than cores(but even if AMD had a 20 core 80 thread CPU, it would behave the same way i would think based on what they Said about the tech)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Wwhat wrote:Yeah it stutters and that was not a smart thing in the PR sense, but it is interesting to learn MS tweaked the kernel of w7 for intel's hyperthreading, especially in light of the suits running and won against intel, like the thing about their compiler optimizations not being used at all when an AMD CPU is used with their compiler for instance (although that one was settled with intel agreeing to play more fair).

I like the idea that MS adopts to modern hardware a bit, and uses the advantages of modern CPU',s but they better have done the same for AMD else they are in deep trouble.
great points!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jnanster »

This demo only proves how important a good GPU is for smooth gaming performance.
Uber Dum marketing video. ](*,)
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

jnanster wrote:Uber Dum marketing video. ](*,)
LoL Who is dumb? :lol: Sorry I just found this ironic. :mrgreen:
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I just like how the guys says "you can see the windows 7 machine being much smoother" (he might have said smootherer, thick accent). Either way at the time he says it you see the frame rate skip. I figure it's whenever it scales the cpu it skips, but still you don't want to see it on the screen. I agree with FZ1 Fail!