Need some help

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Need some help

Post by LVCapo »

Okay, got my new Corsair Mem yesterday, plugged it in and it worked fine for awhile. I rebooted my puter, and it wouldn't boot. The fans run, the mobo is getting power, but the memory doesn't light up, or a few random lights come on. The northbridge is hot as hell, the cpu isn't. The last few times before it quit, I kept getting an error message from the asus probw utility. What do you guys think? Motherboard (my thought)burnt out ? CPU? Memory(Idoubt that because it won't even work with my old sticks of Kingston)? Please help
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Try clearing the BIOS and rebooting, or only running with bare components, namley 1 HDD, CPU, GFX and 1 stick of RAM.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I second Immortal 100%. Reset the BIOS to default and make sure the memory is running at 3-4-4-8; 1T.

That should do the trick.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

seems worth a try to reset to default speeds, but at that O/C it wouldn't suprise me if you cooked the northbridge.
what sort of cooling were you using on it?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

T-Shirt, its rather hard to cook a north bridge, i have once started an amd 750 with no fan on the heat sink and yes i cooked it but after a few hrs i was able to get it to boot again. the thermal diode no longer functioned but it still worked. a north bridge is a hard thing to cook. the voltages are never as high as a cpu or the speeds they operate at, that and most north bridges do not come with any cooling at all on them, this may lead to system stability issues but nothing more.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I had my ASUS P4C800E-D at 275FSB with the passive sink on and although it was hot it didn't fry it. Got watercooling on the N/B now for memory testing. Does help with stability over 275FSB. 285MHz+ on the N/B tends to get toasty.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Okay, spent an hour with tech support. There is a short somewhere in my mobo, I am RMA it tomorrow. I went out and bought a MSI 875 Neo, plugged it in and evidently when my mobo went out, it took my video card with it, or vise versa. So now everything works fine except my video card. Onced I get my ASUS board back, I'm going to use my prescott in the Neo board, and the EE in the Asus board. The only thing I can think is the Zalman heatpipe shorted out my video card, and the video card shorted the mobo. I'm going to get a 5700 Ultra.
Anyway, everything you guys mentioned was my first guess too, I tried clearing the cmos, going with the basics , etc, didn't work.
Thanks guys
Once I get all the bugs out, with all my cool gear, I'll have a serious puter...once I get it all working.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

*cough* X800XT *cough*
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Im with immoral get an ati, either the new x800 or a 9800 pro/xt depending on you budget.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Okay, just had the day from hell with my computer, and I have to say that ASUS ustomer support sucks. My board has a short in it so it got RMA'd. I bought an MSI 875-P HEO and put a 9800 Pro card in it (Fry's had them on sale for $170, can't afford the new stuff).
Anyway, everything works great now. I actually like the MSI board alot, except for two things, it won't let me adjust the v-core on my chip, which really limits what I can do...no more 3.5, 3.4 is the tops now, second, I lapped my cpu really good (Amazing how bad it was, in the BIOS at 3.4 it reads 32 C, but under the core program it says my cpu temp is 17 C??!! I wish.
Anyway, thank you guys very much for your time, it is really nice to be able to bounce thoughts and questions off great minds and people.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

No problem. Those of us who cannot afford the nice hi end equipment can live vicariously through your experiences.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Hell, I can't afford it. I actually sold my sports collection to build my own computer, and you guys got me experimenting with it. The only casualties so far have been the ASUS board and the Nvidia 5900 SE. Not too bad. I'm really enjoying this stuff, but am done spending money. If I do anything it will be to build a WC setup and turn this into a family computer.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

a major drawback of the neo was its v-core limitation. Apparentley a BIOS update lets you do it.

I would personally disable Core-Cell, which is the MSI on-the-fly OC'er, a lot like Abits UGuru!

For temps, always listen to the BIOS, and get MBM5, it is THE best monitoring program around.