Intel’s new chip flaw a costly mistake

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Intel’s new chip flaw a costly mistake

Post by vbironchef »

By MarketWatch
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — Intel Corp. surprised investors Monday with news that it has found a design flaw found in a support chip that works with its ballyhooed new chip, code-named Sandy Bridge, and it has to replace systems in the market. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/intels ... _news_stmp
skier

Re: Intel’s new chip flaw a costly mistake

Post by skier »

by skier » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 pm

what I really want to know is the severity of the degredation

hard drives have always been and always will be the slowest part of a PC, and they've always degraded over time, and with additional usage, who knows if this will even affect Hard drive users, instead just the SSD users
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
skier

Post by skier »

also some sense from XS:
FM_Jarnis wrote:I wonder why people think there are "good" and "bad" boards out there or that somehow some of the early boards are unaffected.

Of course not.

Every shipped Sandy Bridge board is bad - it is a chipset design issue. The first fixed chipset hasn't yet rolled out of the production line (and will not do so for some weeks).

The issue affected only "some" of the boards/chipsets shipped in Q4 because most of the shipped hardware was old tech (LGA1156 etc.). Only a fraction of the chipset shipments in Q4 were for Series 6 chipsets. The statements about only boards shipped after Jan 9th reflect the fact that no sandy boards should have been in end user hands before that date - of course this does not reflect the reality, but that doesn't mean any boards before that date are somehow fine - they are not.

Luckily only SATA ports 2-5 appear to have the issue so if you stick to the two 6GB ports (0-1) and/or any non-intel-chipset ports (on boards that have separate Marvell chip for extra SATA ports), you can work around the problem.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

If it were me I would want new parts. A recall is a recall. Going to cost Intel some serious cash. Stock price in getting hit today. As far as a new motherboard, I would want a new one of those as well.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Errors or bad batches or problems happen to all manufacturers. It is how that manufacturer handles these defunct products is what makes 'em good, great or all fookered. I think Intel responded fairly fast to a growing problem they were having with a new chipset.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

It does not even seem that bad of an issue, so kudos to Intel for taking the hit on it. The average consumer probably is only using 2 sata ports anyway and it seems that not all of them were bad.

I wonder if they could do a $50 rebate or some such instead of a motherboard swap for those people only running a single hard drive, dvd off the 2 good sata-2 ports or are using the sata 3 ports or have a 3rd party controller on the board. Id hate to have to send my motherboard back or pay full price for less features if I was one of them.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"