cpu upgrade

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
bcullen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

cpu upgrade

Post by bcullen »

Hi Rather than buy a new computer i am trying an upgraded cpu So i purchased an intel dual core 3.4 to replace an intel 1.6 dual
When installed the bios recognises the cpu but windows7 wont load, machine shuts down and then will only start for approx 20 seconds with a blank screen. I have an asrock dx90 vsta motherboard which will take up to fsb1066. The 3.4 is not on the list of cpus for this board, but because it loaded i am wondewring if there is some way to use this cpu. Is win 7 the problem ? Hope you can help
Bryan

250 gig ide hd
2 gig ddr
nvidia onboard card
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: cpu upgrade

Post by lordvic »

you are running a CPU that isn't supported by the motherboard, so that's probably why, but...

What is the model or your new and old processor exactly? Gving us the info "dual-core 1.6Ghz and dual-core 3.4GHz means" NOTHING.
We need info like:
- Pentium E5800 45nm 65W

You may need to update your BIOS for the CPU to work

Are you using the same hard drive as when you had your 1.6GHz running? If so, see if reinstalling Windows fixes the issue. Doing a CPU replacement shouldn't require a fresh install, but things happen...
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
bcullen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by bcullen »

Ok The species with board are lga 775 for intellcore extreame/core2duo/pentium XE/pentium4/celeronD/ supporting core kentfield processor
fsb 1066/800/533
supports hyper threading
supports untied overclocking
supports em647t cpu
The new cpu intel pentium 551sl9c5 malay,3.48hz/1m/888/04a, l7188378
Thats all the info that i can gather SHOULD I BE LOOKING ELSEWHERE
I will reload win7 and try As for an upgrade Asrock reccommended an upgrade that on trying came up wiyh an error message i will try again
Bryan
bcullen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by bcullen »

PLEASE READ... I was advised to reload win7, and did so. I then got a repair notice that was a continuing loop and was driving me batty. I have now found the reason YOU cannot reload a win 7 upgrade over a win7 upgrade How stupid is that?
So I am reloading a full blown version of Vista and then Win 7 upgrade. I could spit the dummy, but its a learning experience
This info may help someone or at least prompt experts to be aware that we are not all Fonts of Knowledge and pass on this morsel
Bryan

PS when my task is accomplished i will post result
"ideas that do'nt work are better than non at all"
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

bcullen wrote:PLEASE READ... I was advised to reload win7, and did so. I then got a repair notice that was a continuing loop and was driving me batty. I have now found the reason YOU cannot reload a win 7 upgrade over a win7 upgrade How stupid is that?
So I am reloading a full blown version of Vista and then Win 7 upgrade. I could spit the dummy, but its a learning experience
This info may help someone or at least prompt experts to be aware that we are not all Fonts of Knowledge and pass on this morsel
Bryan

PS when my task is accomplished i will post result
"ideas that do'nt work are better than non at all"

So I feel that I'm being insulted for helping you. I am offended, and that I feel that I should not be sitting here, on my computer, going through dozens of websites, and trying help you anymore.

I did not know you have Windows 7 through upgrade from Vista. NOWHERE you stated that you upgraded, simply:
bcullen wrote: When installed the bios recognises the cpu but windows7 wont load....Is win 7 the problem ?
The BIOS recongizes the CPU, but Windows is having problems, that's why I said to reinstall Windows.

I guess this is pretty much the saying, "Helping others & being kind, and get struck by lightning."

I've searched Intel's archive site as "intel Pentium 551sl9c5 malay,3.48hz/1m/888/04a, l7188378" did not help much, but 551 SL9C5 were key numbers.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27471

The Pentium 4 is NOT a dual core; it is a SINGLE-CORE. If your 1.6GHz Intel CPU IS a DUAL-CORE, then you would be pretty much downgrading, not upgrading.

Looking at the CPU support List on AsRock's website, it supports the 3.4GHz Pentium 4 Prescott processor.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDX90-VSTA Scroll down and look for Number "551."

Is the CPU new or bought used? Hmm...check if ANY of the pins are bent or damaged.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit