Intel Caneland, Tigerton demoed and pictured

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Intel Caneland, Tigerton demoed and pictured

Post by kenc51 »

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11099

See link for pics of Intel's "Tigerton" setup. It uses Intel's next-gen FSB called "CSI" (Their answer to Hypertransport)
16 Core2 CPU cores......bucket loads of PCIe 4x slots and a very strange board layout (due to the use of CSI)

Only benchmark was POV Ray Tracing......but it looks like AMD will have competition in the 4-8 way server market (in a few years)
Strange, you can't see any RAM??
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

well its suppose to use FB-Dimms. Maybe its in a seperate compartment for heat distribution or easy access?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

dicecca112 wrote:well its suppose to use FB-Dimms. Maybe its in a seperate compartment for heat distribution or easy access?
Actually I read one of the posts made on TR and a guy suggested it's on a daughter card connected to the large black slot near the SATA cable......makes perfect sense.....
I also heard/read a roumor that Intel will drop FBDimms......can't remember where.....prolly the Inq or digitimes.....since that's where I got most info.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

no its not a rumor, its true. They are dropping FB-DIMMs and embracing/pushing DDR3 like the did DDR2
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

dicecca112 wrote:no its not a rumor, its true. They are dropping FB-DIMMs and embracing/pushing DDR3 like the did DDR2
LOL Intel love to experiment with their RAM....first RDRAM now FB Ram........It's only now they "give in" and go with (copy) an intergrated memory controller... :ANAL:
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

kenc51 wrote:
dicecca112 wrote:no its not a rumor, its true. They are dropping FB-DIMMs and embracing/pushing DDR3 like the did DDR2
LOL Intel love to experiment with their RAM....first RDRAM now FB Ram........It's only now they "give in" and go with (copy) an intergrated memory controller... :ANAL:
i believe that they are going to go for IMC with 45nm. i forget where i saw it, but i did see that they are going to go that way
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

kenc51 wrote:
Hi Kenc51. May I ask whoit is that Intel is copying with IMC.

Surely your not sugjesting its AMD. . Dec was the first to use IMC.
Also Tigerton isn't CSI.
CSI is intragrated with Intels IMC. Think more along the lines of R520 memory controller. Where do you think ATI got it from ?
Turtle 1 banned accused of being Zinn2b.

THE THREAT! I am going to tie your socks in a knott.