An 80 core Intel Chip???

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

An 80 core Intel Chip???

Post by Sporg »

Has anyone else seen this?
Intel is about a month away from unveiling the specs for a research prototype of an 80-core chip that they've developed. That's right: Not an 8-core; this is an 80-core chip.
Original article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/196901935
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

yup it was talked about a couple months ago. Don't get too excited though its just a prototype and many many years off
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yeah Intel showed that off ad IDF last year... Long long way away... They are still trying to get 8-core working.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Ok, I had not seen that before. Yah, I realize it's just r&d stuff, just exciting to see these things.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

Ok, honestly I think that seems a little bit ridiculous, to connect all the cores to each other core would require more die space than the cores themselves.....Yes I believe 8-core, 16-core progression is dandy, but to jump into development of something that would require communication on that level, I just don't find that feasible.
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Regardless of feasibility, it's still some pretty cool technology. Imagine in say 10 short years what the computer industry will have progressed to.
rockcola
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rockcola »

Yeah, the future is multiple cores. High clock speeds just consume to much energy and put off too much heat. Wonder what AMD has up their sleeve?
elkmanwsu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by elkmanwsu »

I don't think it was ever meant for consumer use. It's marketed only for use in research...probably wouldn't be very practical for personal use...not for a good decade at least :)
Motherboard: ASUS P5K
Processor: 2.40ghz Q6600
Memory: 4gb Corsair DDR2-800
Videocard: Leadtek GeForce 8600GT
Display: Samsung SyncMaster 216BW
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy
HDD: 1x WD 36gb Raptor, 2x WD 250gb CaviarSE
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Gamble wrote:Ok, honestly I think that seems a little bit ridiculous, to connect all the cores to each other core would require more die space than the cores themselves.....Yes I believe 8-core, 16-core progression is dandy, but to jump into development of something that would require communication on that level, I just don't find that feasible.
Intel explicitly talked about that, it is one of the reasons they decided to attempt this. If you read the details each of the 80 cores is 5-way associative, it can quickly shuffle data to any of it's neighboring cores via a router integrated in every core. The 5th direction was for the option of a second layer of mem cache to be stacked above the cores, giving all 80 cores a direct link into the cache.

This chip was designed to test the borders of what Intel could design and build, and to find all the potential problems inherent in such a design. It is a great snapshot of the problems of computing by 2020. This quote by IBM sums it up very nicely about the inherent problems in getting software and OS design to follow the shrinking of a server room onto a chip, "In the coming years, the operating systems we use today will be merely applications running in a single operating system".

More info on the whys here: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/ ... ascale.ars
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: An 80 core Intel Chip???

Post by martini161 »

even if this does come out within the next 10 years or so, considering they havent even created apps that can take advantage of 2 cores, it will be a bout 50 years before this technology will actually be useful!its amazing how far ahead the hard ware is getting in front of the software, i think a quad core will keep you up to date for atleast 5 more years, and maybe longer than that
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

lol, you said 50 years. in 50 years we'll have 16core cpu's running our toasters. to say any technology being develped today wont be useful 50 years from now is pretty ignorant.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

Lol 100 years from now people will be saying that there watches are more powerfull then our computers. (well not exactly but to an extent.)
Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3.0Ghz
2gb of patriot ram reduced latency.
500GB 7200 rpm Seagate (baracuda)
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

These cores are not like the large cores Intel has today. Instead, these are "mini-cores" that work together in parallel.

Rather than having two big Titans (Dual core) do the work, they are focusing in on several mini-cores to not only do the work, but surpass the Titan sized cores by major leaps. The Teraflops of the mini-cores will put today's dual and quad cores to shame.

The cores themselves will not be directly called CPU's, but rather GPU. No, not GPU as in graphics, but as in General Processing Unit. These GPU's will be able to do CPU, VGU and chipset functions depending on the processing needs of that moment.

AMD isn't left out in the cold either. Their product is called Fusion.

The nice thing is, these cores that are mini that do mini tasks at a time, but rather quickly, have low thermals. Therefore, today's heat-pipes will still keep things cool.

The saying of having a complete computer on a chip in the future isn't that far off.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
tormentor
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by tormentor »

yea all that is for intel to say, hey guy look w i have done,,, that is only for show up
and yea stev is right, these are mini cores, how do u think an 80-core 65nm whould take space if it was like the cores we use now,, well that chip would be as huge as a mobo :lol:
i dont belive that would be much practical in 10 years, that would need more,,, and if we took in cosidration that Moor expected the end of his law in the following 10 years, i think multi would be the way to rescue that law....