New Computer Up and Running - Couple questions

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
rocktrout
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

New Computer Up and Running - Couple questions

Post by rocktrout »

Just wanted to pass along my thanks to all the great information on this forum. It made the whole process of getting the new computer up and running pretty smooth this afternoon/evening. After installing all the components, I installed XP SP2 and Vista 64 and the latest bad axe BIOS update. During the process, I encountered two minor problems.

1. I installed a Samsung Sata DVD drive and everytime I tried to install either OS, it would crash. The Pioneer drive worked fine. Any ideas on the SATA drive problem?

2. When I run Vista, the video card fan runs non stop. It doesn't do this in XP. Any ideas how to control that fan. I did update the latest video drives from Nvidia.

System Specs:

motherboard - D975XBX2KR
processor - x6800
power - Corsair 620
memory - 4GB - Crucial Ballistix SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
video - EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB
cpu cooling - ZALMAN CNPS9500
hd(OS/apps) - 2X - Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
hd(storage) - Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM
case - Thermaltake Armor
DVD - Pioneer DVR-111D
sushrukh
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by sushrukh »

1. Are u providing the sata raid driver from floppy when u r installing XP ?
2. There must be some options in your Nvidia control panel to control the fan.Which version are u using ?
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

In Vista the screen you are viewing / Areo Glass is being rendered by your GPU. This is probably keeping your graphics card warmer than it usually idles at, hence why you are noticing it. In XP the entire interface was simply offloaded onto the CPU and the graphics card was left completely idle.

I have heard Vista needs drivers for some SATA based optical drives, I could only guess this might be the issue. Once you installed Vista, install the drive and Vista will reconigze the drive and have no issues with it. This is what some others have reported anyway.
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
amdathlonfx
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by amdathlonfx »

U can use Coolbits for ur Nvidia GPU.That has a option to run the fan always in the full speed.
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

THE DRIVER IS NOT YET Fully optimized yet. I think nvidia just release a new beta driver for the gfx, have you try that?
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

as for your SATA DVD drive, maybe your motherboard doesn't support SATA optical drives.
amdathlonfx
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by amdathlonfx »

Sata is Sata.If motherboard has Sata HDD support then it has to support Sata Optical drives too.