e6400+BadAxe=Stuck at 3.1ghz

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
WeeManFoo
Legit User
Legit User

e6400+BadAxe=Stuck at 3.1ghz

Post by WeeManFoo »

First off, I want to say this is my very first overclock. I read some articles and I did the mod to unlock the multiplier with the conductive paint. Then, I increased the FSB to 1333mhz and started from 2.66mhz on the e6400.
While using Intel Dexktop Control Center, I can only get to a 17% increase on the bus speed manually, making it about 3.1ghz. What else do I need to do to oc or have I reached the maximum clock I can do with my system.

System: Systemax built to order pc with...
BadAxe rev305
x1600 pro oc'ed to 614mhz
Some kind of value ram, default 800mhz, now at 667mhz
and of course, e6400 at 2.66mhz...also, I increased the cpu vid to 1.45v

Here is the article I read http://www.sleektech.nl/~dm/review/inte ... te-01.html[/url]
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

It all depends man not every piece of hardware will get as high of an overclock. Is it just not stable? have you tried some more voltage on the ram? What type of cooler do you have? I don't know a lot about overclocking intel processors, however I know a few people here with very similar setups to you who will be glad to point you on your way with the core 2 duo e6400. did you change the multi? since you said you unlocked the multiplier try raising the multi up one or something?
WeeManFoo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WeeManFoo »

For some reason, I can't increase the multi. I have tried putting more volts on the cpu but I am worried about messing with the memory. I have a ok cooler on it but I plan to upgrade to water cooling soon. It crashes when pushed past 3.1ghz in windows using Intel Desktop Control Center.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

what timings and voltages you running the memory at?
WeeManFoo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WeeManFoo »

I'm not really sure what they are running at...CPU-Z has them at 834mhz but Intel Desktop Control Center (from now on IDCC) says they are running at 667mhz. They both show the same timming at 5-5-5-13. The voltage is set on automatic and I don't know where to find it in IDCC or CPU-Z.
tormentor
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by tormentor »

WeeManFoo wrote:For some reason, I can't increase the multi. I have tried putting more volts on the cpu but I am worried about messing with the memory. I have a ok cooler on it but I plan to upgrade to water cooling soon. It crashes when pushed past 3.1ghz in windows using Intel Desktop Control Center.
Intel cpus multipliers are locked, dunno if it can be changed using ITK but they are locked in general