CPU compatibility/interchangability question

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
feralbrown
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

CPU compatibility/interchangability question

Post by feralbrown »

Hey guys, I'm new... I'll introduce myself properly later...
I'm a computer muso, not a gamer or programmer or whatever else, so my knowledge is pretty damn rudimentary! (go easy!)

Basically I've had a crash on my PC, which I've discovered (I'm pretty sure- process of elimination :roll: ) is the CPU... I currently have (HAD! :evil: ) a Celeron D 2.40GHz 256/533 (478 Socket) model# SL7JV...
I really can't afford an entirely new PC yet, and I REALLY can't afford the downtime, so I'm gonna have to go for some form of quick-fix for now... prolly an ebay sale or something...
(suggestions and recommendations are more than welcome!)

Anyway, to cut to the chase~
I've been trying to work out what the deal is with interchangeability of CPUs for my PC... How do I know what'll work and what won't?
I'd really prefer something of the same "quality" (ie. 2.4GHz) or faster (if that's possible?)...

Sorry if this is long-winded... I'm just trying to get as much info and stuff out as possible...
Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.
I hope!
:)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Welcome!

Just about any socket 478 cpu will work fine! There are some later chips made with the "prescott" core that might cause problems with your setup, if your motherboard doesn't support them. The Prescott cpu's have 1mb of cache.
They were a of the redesign pentium 4, they ran hot and consumed alot of power. On some motherboards the power draw was too much and they didn't work correctly.

Your best bet is to have a look on E-Bay for any Intel socket 478 chip, preferably one with 512k of cache and a 533MHz FSB.

What motherboard are you using? Do you know what chipset it has? You might be able to get one of the P4's that have an 800MHz FSB. That would be a nice performance increase as they go upto ~3.6GHz
P4's > 3GHz can be based on the Prescott core, but not all. There are some 2.8GHz Prescotts, but they shouldn't cause any problems as they don't draw too many AMPS when working.
trueg50
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by trueg50 »

How did you determine that the CPU was bad?

1) Can you boot-up at all? if so then it is most likely not the CPU.

2) Is your system overclocked? then the CPU could be the problem, then you just need to change the settings or return it to default speed/ voltage/ multiplier.

3) How did the system crash? did it freeze up and not respond to any keyboard mouse input? did it give you blue screen of death? or did it just plain shutdown without warning? (if is then were you doing some sort of CPU intensive activity like gaming or encoding? then it could be the power supply)