Help! (please)

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Help! (please)

Post by Sting3000 »

Ok,

Background:
I have a daughter that likes this website Gaia.com I thought it was harmless, but she left a page up of videos and I was shocked. :shock: She is 13 and this type of stuff I have deemed inappropriate for her. I can't be there all the time, so I need a solution that runs on autopilot if possible.

Here's my question: What type of software can I install that is freeware that will block websites that I choose? This may seem like a stupid question, but I want something that is not a resource hog and is somewhat easy to use. ANY suggestions will be much appreciated. I care about my kid and want to make sure that she does not fall victim to things that she should not. I'm willing to pay, but I'd rather use a free solution if one exists.

Thank you!!!
Sting3000
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Help! (please)

Post by martini161 »

many antivirus softwares have parentals controls built in. but i should warn you, if your daughter is computer literate, she will find a way around any parental control system. a better method would be to explain to her why they are inopropreate, and to stay away from them
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

there are specific programs you can buy to monitor and block sites like that,http://www.netnanny.com/ is only one of them. if you dont want to spend the money you can install a linux based firewall on an old system and have all kinds of control over websites, messenger, downloads, etc http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ipcop

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

Darkstar wrote:there are specific programs you can buy to monitor and block sites like that,http://www.netnanny.com/ is only one of them. if you dont want to spend the money you can install a linux based firewall on an old system and have all kinds of control over websites, messenger, downloads, etc http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ipcop

:drinkers:
Is that just for linux os or can I use it with XP? It's funny you mention Netnanny. I'm reading a review on it by PC Magazine right now. It was the top rated software. I'm starting to lean that way unless someone has a better suggestion. I'm just not sure how much resources it takes up.
Thx
Sting3000
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

IPCop is software to install on a single system to create a hardware based firewall. Its linux based but easy to install.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

While the physical blocking of the sites is a good idea, I would also strongly suggest you talk to your daughter about why you are blocking them. Healthy relationships = happy peoples. lol.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

If you're just looking to block a few specific sites, most routers can accept a blacklist of addresses.

Like other users have stated, you should definately talk to your daughter about your concerns.

At that age, kids are going to have access to internet at a variety of places. Personally, in the same situation, I probably wouldn't use content filtering software. I'd have the computer in a visible spot in the house (downstairs, living room), and have monitoring software installed, but nothing blocked. Visits to sites that I deem innapropriate would result in the total loss of computer access.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Another myspace crap site - argh.

I agree with Zelig - best way is to use a router and set up the blocked websites in the router itself. As long as the child doesnt know the password to the router, they cant change it. Unless they get smart enough to reset the router, but then you will have to ground them and take the computer away ;)

You HAVE to talk to them - they wont understand TRUST ME - 19 year old still has a hard time understanding why myspace is NOT a good place to be if you want a professional career other than a hooker or musician - but you still have to explain first, then block. I have had myspace blocked since she first decided it was cool. They can still access the stuff at schools or at friends, so you might want to talk to the schools about blocking this particular website also!

Mike

Children and computers - its a tuff world to parentally control! Best things to do - do NOT allow them to have a computer in their room, use a central computer that you can keep tabs on, and TALK to them and explain WHY these kinds of sites are bad or inappropriate. Step-daughter wants to be a nurse and I told her with all the horror stories coming out about myspace and facebook sites coming back to haunt you, it is best to stay away.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

Ok everyone.

I took the chance to talk to my daughter last night. It was a great talk. While we were "geeking out" watching the lunar eclipse, I told here about the site that I saw and she said that she saw some bad stuff on there and did not click it. I told her that was good. I also told her that they can trick you into thinking it's one thing, when it's actually something else. She understood. I told her that I cared about here and that I did not want to block her from the site. I further told her that if I found out she had went to that section, that she would leave me no choice but to block her. She agreed and understood. She was much "cooler" than I thought she would be. I was surprised, but I'm not sure why. I have a great kid. I think she knows that I'm just trying to protect her. I told her that I wanted her to have fun and play games that were appropriate. I REALLY want to thank ALL of you for your advice. I mean it. That was very sound advice. I was freaking out a bit yesterday, but the fact is that it was not the end of the world and a good talk really solved the problem I think. The computer is in the living room and not her room, so I can check on her from time to time. I don't think she is intentially trying to look at inapproriate stuff. It was a new feature on the site that people could upload videos called: VJ on the gaia.com site. From now on she will not go to that section at all. For those parents that have kids on this site, please inform them of this VJ section and to be careful. Many of the videos should be 18 and over. I'm sure you get my drift. I have elected not to install software as I don't think it will be necessary at this time. Should that change, I'll more than likely go with Netnanny.

A BIG thank you for everyone's Valuable advice! :)
Sting~
Sting3000
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

Nice to hear how everything went well. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Isn't it great when parenting works ^_^

Glad it worked out for you.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado